• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Helper forever

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andersf

What is the name of your state? Michigan
First time using this site. Really desperate for answers/suggestions/comments. Son has been charged with possession of a controlled substance. Transported to MCJ 2 days ago. Should I Bail him out.?. Asurety Bond of $500 (10% of $5000) required. Court date in 2 weeks. Does personal appearence (clean clothes, clean shaven, hair cut, etc) help or hurt when in front of judge on this charge?

lealea1005

You know, andersf, Curt and Ozark are both right.
I'm hoping SeniorJudge stops by with his list of suggestions for appearing in court. They would be very helpful to your son.
Good luck.

sjmjuly

Court appearance is VERY IMPORTANT. It shows respect to the court. Here are some basic rules:

1) Clean, showered, clean & neat hair and clean shaven (If male of course)
2) Clean, and in good repair clothing. A suit & tie would be preferable if possible. Do NOT wear shorts, flip flops, tee shirts (especially those with slogans or logos on them) Clothes with holes in them or tears. Nothing ragged looking.
3) Do not put your hands in your pockets either. Keep them at your sides. Do not slouch, lean or look like you are not listening or paying attention to the judge.
4) Do not bring cell phones, head phones, Ipods, walkmans or anything of this sort into the court room.
5) Speak when spoken to and answer questions with "Yes your Honor", "Yes Sir", or "No your Honor", or "No sir". Do not swear or make jestures.
Remember, this is a court of LAW and you are trying to show respect and receive the best possible outcome.
SeniorJudge may have some other pointers for your son.

andersf

My concern with him appearing in court not groomed/prpared isthat if I don't bail him out he will be going right from his jail cell to standing in front of the judge with his orange suit on. I don't know if they get a chance to get cleaned up before they appear.

sjmjuly

Chances are he will go before the judge in an orange jumpsuit. If he's in jail with no other clothing or options, he will be brought before the judge just as he looks in jail. They may allow him to shower, but he will be in the jumpsuit if that's what they wear in the jail he's in. Just my guess.

gawm

It doesn't matter if he is in his orange jumpsuit in front of the judge. Judges are not suppose to let things like that influence their decisions. It's the jury that you don't want to see you in a jump suit. The judge will understand that he is in custody. If he was not in custody it would be a little more important how he dressed for court.

seniorjudge

Standard answer

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

Dress professionally in clean clothes.

Do not wear message shirts or caps.

Don't chew gum, smoke, or eat. (Smokers...pot or tobacco...literally stink. Remember that before you head for court.)

Bathe and wash your hair.

Do not bring small children or your friends.

Go to court beforehand some day before you actually have to go to watch how things go.

Speak politely and deferentially. If you argue or dispute something, do it professionally and without emotion.

Ask the court clerk who you talk to about a diversion (meaning you want to plead to a different, lesser charge), if applicable in your situation. Ask about traffic school and that the ticket not go on your record, if applicable. Ask also about getting a hardship driving permit, if applicable. Ask about drug court, if applicable.

From marbol:

“Judge...

You forgot the one thing that I've seen that seems to frizz up most judges these days:

If you have a cell phone, make DAMN SURE that it doesn't make ANY noise in the courtroom. This means when you are talking to the judge AND when you are simply sitting in the court room.

If you have a ‘vibrate’ position on your cell phone, MAKE sure the judge DOESN'T EVEN HEAR IT VIBRATE!

Turn it off or put it in silent mode where it flashes a LED if it rings. AND DON'T even DREAM about answering it if it rings.”

(Better yet, don’t carry your cell phone into the courtroom.)”

Here are seven stories that criminal court judges hear the most (and I suggest you do not use them or variations of them):

1. I’ve been saved! (This is not religion specific; folks from all kinds of religious backgrounds use this one.)

2. My girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter/wife/ex-wife/niece/grandma/grand-daughter is pregnant/sick/dying/dead/crippled/crazy and needs my help.

3. I’ve got a job/military posting in [name a place five hundred miles away].

4. This is the first time I ever did this. (This conflicts with number 5 below, but that hasn’t stopped some defendants from using both.)

5. You’ve got the wrong guy. (A variation of this one is the phantom defendant story: “It wasn’t me driving, it was a hitchhiker I picked up. He wrecked the car, drug me behind the wheel then took off.” Or, another variation: “I was forced into it by a bad guy!”)

6. I was influenced by a bad crowd.

7. I/my kid/my whatever has surgery scheduled.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=854687#post854687

Public defender’s advice

http://newyork.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/70300494.html

Other people may give you other advice; stand by.

seniorjudge

Or the judge could be a female. Yes, it does happen in 2007.
When my son was small, I took him with me to the courthouse. A visiting woman judge was there. He said (loudly), "A GIRL judge!?"

Another time I was putting on my robe and my young daughter said, "Daddy, why are you wearing that black dress?"

Yes, these kids did survive their childhood....

gawm

Another time I was putting on my robe and my young daughter said, "Daddy, why are you wearing that black dress?"
Yes, these kids did survive their childhood....

Another time at the court house OR another time when you thought your daughter was in her bed sleeping and she surprises you when you are in mommy's closet?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">