• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Herion Posession but my son is in rehab now

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca

My son (age 20) was arrested for suspended drivers license and heroin posession a few months ago. Its a felony. He put himself in a 90 residental drug treatment program. His court date is next month. Does anyone know if there is a chance that it can go from a felony to a misdemenor with him passing the drug program. Tests clean everytime, etc. He wants to go in the military but I dont think he can if he has a felony.

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca

My son (age 20) was arrested for suspended drivers license and heroin posession a few months ago. Its a felony. He put himself in a 90 residental drug treatment program. His court date is next month. Does anyone know if there is a chance that it can go from a felony to a misdemenor with him passing the drug program. Tests clean everytime, etc. He wants to go in the military but I dont think he can if he has a felony.
His chances to be in the military are slim, and are - at best - a long way off.

His attorney can seek a plea deal that will allow him to enter treatment pursuant to Prop 36 (PC 1000) while on probation. Successful completion of the program (about 18 months or more, I believe) can result in his case being re-opened and the charges dismissed.

He does not have an attorney but will be using a public defender. He is in a 90 residental program and will have a chapperone take him to the court date from the facility he is in right now. Yes I heard about prop. 36. So the judge might order him to do a longer program? The one he is in now is just 90 days but he lives there.

What happens if a case is dismissed

Just curious and this is way down the road, but if for some reason the judge is happy that my son is in a residental program and a case is dismissed, does that mean there will be no fines?

Thank you. I was just concerned because if he has alot of fine and is in a residental program he won't be able to work and there is no way for him to pay the fine.

CdwJava

He will have to pay costs associated with the program, but if the case is later dismissed, the incident will appear as an arrest only and not as a conviction.

And, yes, he will have to attend a program approved by the court and it will be much longer than 90 days.

Ok, so if it ends up being just an arrest not as a "conviction" does that mean that he won't have a "felony" on his record. This is all to early to tell but im just curious. Also, the area I live in has two residental drug programs that have a few spaces funded by the state. He was on a waiting list for about 6 weeks, and the program is about 3 grand a month, but it is state funded. I have a severely disabled son (his brother) and i'm not able to really work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">