• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

High School Drug test

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tmikesic

Yesterday I got taken into the nurses office. The principal said someone reported I was "acting funny" and they said I would have to do a drug test. My mom wouldn't answer the phone since she was at work, so they had no consent. I am 18. They strip searched me (not completely naked) and searched my locker- they didn't find anything. I took the drug test because they told me I'd have to go take it at the hospital if I didn't. I failed for marijuana. This happened to another kid a few months ago. I'm suspended for 3 days and then have a meeting with the superintendent for another 7 day suspension. What are my rights/what can I say in my meeting? Was it legal to drug test me at a public school without consent or a decent reason?

Just Blue

Yesterday I got taken into the nurses office. The principal said someone reported I was "acting funny" and they said I would have to do a drug test. My mom wouldn't answer the phone since she was at work, so they had no consent. I am 18. They strip searched me (not completely naked) and searched my locker- they didn't find anything. I took the drug test because they told me I'd have to go take it at the hospital if I didn't. I failed for marijuana. This happened to another kid a few months ago. I'm suspended for 3 days and then have a meeting with the superintendent for another 7 day suspension. What are my rights/what can I say in my meeting? Was it legal to drug test me at a public school without consent or a decent reason?
U.S. Law Only.

quincy

Following is a link to students' 4th Amendment rights in school, published by the Judicial Learning Center. You may wish to review the whole site but first you might want to scroll to the bottom of the page and read the US Supreme Court Opinion in Safford Unified School District v. Redding: http://judiciallearningcenter.org/your-4th-amendment-rights/

Based strictly on what you have written, the strip-search at school appears to have violated your 4th Amendment rights.

Proserpina

Following is a link to students' 4th Amendment rights in school, published by the Judicial Learning Center. You may wish to review the whole site but first you might want to scroll to the bottom of the page and read the US Supreme Court Opinion in Safford Unified School District v. Redding: http://judiciallearningcenter.org/your-4th-amendment-rights/

Based strictly on what you have written, the strip-search at school appears to have violated your 4th Amendment rights.
If he's in the US, I agree ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">