• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long does the state have to take you to trial?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aguirreofclovis

New Mexico

I was arrested in August 2008 and the state keeps continuing my case i was wondering how long they could do this before my case has to be dissmissedWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

I do not know for your state specifically but many states have placed the limit at 1 year from arraignment. A few do not have an actual specific time.

MANY require the defendant to make a written demand for the speedy trial requirements to be invoked.

Now, why your case has been continued can make a great difference as well. If you are ultimately the cause of the delays, that often throws the speedy trial thing out the window.

aguirreofclovis

I havent continued at all its all been the states doing.... I filed a motion for speedy trial last month and now my court has been scheduled in August 2009 just a few days shy of the year mark...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">