• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much trouble could she be in?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shelrs

What is the name of your state? PA

My 18 yr old daughter was hanging out at a local fair with her 15 yr old cousin and her friend. The cousin and her friend said they were going to the park next to the fairgrounds to smoke. My daughter doesn't smoke, but she went with them anyway. They were sitting on swings in the park. The cousin's friend took out a cigarette and lit it and the cousin and her friend both took a puff. My daughter thought it was marijuana but before she could say anything to them or leave, the police came to tell them they weren't allowed to be at the park after dark. Her cousin's friend put out the marijuana and threw it at her cousins feet. The police asked what they had just put out and they denied doing anything. The police looked around and found the warm cigarette at my niece's feet. They were questioned and still denied it. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law both told the police that although they wouldn't put it past their daughter to do that, they knew that my daughter wouldn't do anything like that and didn't even know what was going on. They were told they would get a citation in the mail and that it wouldn't go on their permanent record. They were told there was a fine involved or community service.

My questions are:
1. Could this affect my daughter's job at a daycare?
2. Could this be fought or appealed?
3. How much would the fine typically be?

Mausmane

Well around here when the police say they're going to send you a citation in the mail, they're just trying to scare you. Unless your daughter was actually arrested and processed, i HIGHLY doubt anything criminal will go on her record.

Watch the mail is the best i can say, nothing will be on her record until she's convicted of something, so if you do indeed get something in the mail THEN start to worry. Which i highly doubt you will.

The Occultist

Well around here when the police say they're going to send you a citation in the mail, they're just trying to scare you. Unless your daughter was actually arrested and processed, i HIGHLY doubt anything criminal will go on her record.

Watch the mail is the best i can say, nothing will be on her record until she's convicted of something, so if you do indeed get something in the mail THEN start to worry. Which i highly doubt you will.
It's actually quite common for people to receive their drug related citations in the mail. What makes you think otherwise?

Mausmane

It's actually quite common for people to receive their drug related citations in the mail. What makes you think otherwise?
Where i come from, if the cops find drugs/para on you you get 1-arrested 2-processed 3-receive a court summons in the mail, not a citation.

Cops on two occasions said they might send me a citation in the mail. Really they were just trying to scare me, and i never got them.

The Occultist

Where i come from, if the cops find drugs/para on you you get 1-arrested 2-processed 3-receive a court summons in the mail, not a citation.

Cops on two occasions said they might send me a citation in the mail. Really they were just trying to scare me, and i never got them.
So, you've been caught with MJ at least twice, and then manage to let yourself get caught a third time? Wow.

Anywho, the OP doesn't live anywhere near where you do, so your advice consisting of "around here" and "where I come from" don't really apply.

OP, despite what Mausmane thinks, and contrary to the extraordinary luck apparently experienced by Mausmane, if an officer promises a mailed citation, you shouldn't think you're in the clear.

My questions are:
1. Could this affect my daughter's job at a daycare?
2. Could this be fought or appealed?
3. How much would the fine typically be?
1. That's up to the daycare, but yes, a possession charge could certainly look poorly on a person looking to be around children.

2. Yes, anything can be fought. Will you win? A little harder to answer. Even if your seemingly innocent little girl really didn't inhale any of the marijuana, legally speaking she was in "possession" of it, and is, of course, guilty. However, if the other two are willing to step up and say she had absolutely nothing to do with anything, perhaps a sympathetic court will let it drop.

One point Mausmane brought up that is correct: wait and see if that citation comes. As Mausmane predicts, it is possible the DA will choose it's not worth the effort and not file charges. Just don't bank on it.

3. I'd expect it to be generally in the neighborhood of somewhere near a few hundred dollars. Hope that helps! :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">