• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to obtain information about someone reporting suspicious activity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nataliscous

What is the name of your state? az
I recently had someone knock on my door when I went to see who it was through the peep hole it was an officer. I was on the way to pick up my daughter from school so I grabbed my keys and by the time I answered the door they were gone. I went to my car the officer drove past me and didn't say anything. So I called the police department and gave my address and told them what happened. They told me someone called them earlier that morning and complained of suspicious activity. I gave the police my number for the officer to call me back and she never did. I also live in an apartment complex and my manager wasn't notified (so they say). Thinking maybe someone tried breaking in my house I called back the next day when the officer didn't return my call. The police say I need to talk with the officer who took the report and can't give me any specific information. So then I start thinking the apartment complex wants me out because they are rehabing the apt. and they are almost vacant. I deciede I want to see who called. After five days of no police contact I call and ask where to obtain my records. The officer on the phone tells me that there isn't a record since I didn't answer the door yet when i give her my address she says someone called about suspicious activity. When I ask if it was my apartment complex she said it doesn't say who but it was for narcotics. How can there be no police report if she types my address in and tells me someone complained of suspicous activity for narcotics. I want to find out who complained I feel like I'm being harassed what can I do to obtain these records. Or is there a record. I dont' get it.
thanksWhat is the name of your state?

outonbail

From what you've posted, it's hard to understand exactly where the police were told that this suspicious activity was taking place. Are you saying that this suspicious narcotics activity was reportedly taking place in your actual apartment and not just at the apartment complex in general?

If the officer closed out the call as being unfounded, then as you were told, there was probably no report made on the incident. Just because they can look up the fact that they were called to a specific address on a specific date, doesn't necessarily mean the officer who responded wrote up a report.

If they do know who it was that made the call, I seriously doubt they are going to provide you with that information. The reason for this should be obvious. However, if your not involved with this type of activity, and it doesn't go on in your apartment, then don't dwell on it. If you do have something to worry about then it's time to clean up your act, so you don't have to lose sleep wondering if tonight will be the night your front door gets kicked in.

I also don't believe that any apartment manager or owner is going to begin calling the police to make false reports in an attempt to get you out of your apartment. If they wish to evict someone, they have other legal options available to accomplish this.

when I went to see who it was through the peep hole it was an officer. I was on the way to pick up my daughter from school so I grabbed my keys and by the time I answered the door they were gone.
Hmmm, this doesn't really make much sense. If you didn't open the door upon realizing it was a police officer who was knocking, I doubt it was because you went for your keys. But whatever the reason, I suggest that next time an officer knocks at your door, answer it right away, instead of looking for your keys. Had you done this, you would have had the opportunity to hear first hand, what their reason was for knocking on your door.

nataliscous

thanks

Thanks for the insight ,
Just wanted to add, I was picking up my four year old from school and I was almost late I figured the officer would want to talk to me I was grabbing my keys when she knocked. It didn't make sense how fast she left. All I did was look through the peep hole turn around grab my keys and she was gone. She was in her car taking off by the time I got to my car I even stood by my car a minute waiting to see if she wanted to talk to me.
Also, I forgot to mention I'm on section 8 and feel there was a possiblilty of a false report. Me and my cousin aren't getting along and I do have a prior arrest 6 years ago fir a class 2 for sales, but have been clean since. Nothing came of the charges and theres no record of the incindent. If there was I wouldn't of been able to get housing since they do a complete background check. (This is a temporary living condition due to some health problems).
In addition, I had retained a lawyer at the time who felt that the case was either filed in the wrong spot or they lost my evidence. What ever the case may be my cousin is aware of this and I felt like she was being spiteful trying to cause problems with my housing. But like you said as far as everything goes I don't have anything to worry about. But having any type of police contact (if there's a report filed) can get me kicked out of my apartment. This is what I'm worried about. Not the actual allegation of narcotics or suspicious activity. I'd like to get her for harassment.
thanks for your time
natalie

Last edited:

fairisfair

an officer knocked on your door, he didn't knock your door down.

quit being so paranoid, unless you have reason to be? and get on with your life.

nataliscous

Thanks
It will be hard I was contacted by my apartment manager around 5 today. They said I'm not to have any police contact and its a violation of my rental agreement not even giving me 30 days to get out. Don't know if I'll lose my housing imagine I will. Section 8 won' t let me rent another apartment from another landlord. This is bull**** I haven't done drugs in 6 years just because some bitch wants to start **** (family at that.) I haven't even done anything wrong. I will be seeing a lawyer about this. Havent even talked to the police. How the hell can they do this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">