• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How will this p.o.p go down considering.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swreed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama , here it goes , i was riding with someone as he was goin to deliver bud to his sister..... not knowing he was in possesion of a bag of syringes and a small marijuana pipe.... as he was speeding a cop popped him pulled us over , right before the cop got to the passenger side window.. ( where i was seated) , he tosses the pipe just behind my back landing on the back of me right side of the seat , so i tried to grab it real quick to toss it off my seat , but in the process the cop comes up see's me messing about , thinking i got a gun has his gun pulled , he scared the **** out of me , and i said no i dont have a gun heres the truth , handed him the pipe , he never asked me if the pipe was mine and handcuffed me and questioned me before i had been read my rights , being the fact i handed him the pipe straight out does that automaticly make it my possesion?
or the fact i picked it up out of the car and handed it to him directly does that matter and what would be my best course of action.:confused:

The Occultist

The fact that the pipe was in the car at the same time as you means, legally speaking, that you were in possession of it; the fact that it was in your hand seals the deal.

Although I've never heard of this actually working out, it's possible some leniency might be shown to you if your friend is willing to step up and state that it was his and you knew nothing about it.

Your best bet is to go into court with the aid of an attorney. Local attorneys know best what the courts want to hear, and as such have the highest potential for yielding the most favorable results. It's possible you may get some sort of deferred prosecution (don't know if Alabama offers that, but your lawyer would be able to tell you) which could mean something along the lines of some fines, taking a class, and some probation time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">