• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I can't believe this happened someone please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frustrated408

What is the name of your state?

I llive in california, in santa cruz but was with my husband and an old friend driving through santa clara county when a cop pulls us over for our expired registration. My Husband had gotten a temporary tag and a smog all that was needed was monday to come so he could go to the dmv to get his sticker. As we are pulling over the old friend in the passenger front seat tosses a baggie at me saying "you have better pockets than we do, put this someplace for me"
I know the cops going to be watching every move we make and I can't throw it back or leave it out in plain site because its meth and thats a fellony. So I tried to put it in my bra. The cop checks our Id's and comes back with a small traffic warrent for me asks me to get out of the back seat to sign a paper saying I'll show up in court to handle this. As I'm signing the paper the old friend took out a paperbag and stashed it under the back seat my husband tells me later. I'm just about finished with the cop when the baggie falls out right in front of us I'm cuffed and put in the back of the cop car after he pats me down finding NOTHING else on me. The cop searches the truck and finds the paperbag with a pipe I've never seen nor touched but I get charged with it because the cop said it was where I was sitting. My husband has nothing on him either. The old friend has a back pack with him which contained alot of pot and hash and paraphanillia (he has a medical marijuana card because he is sick) the cop arrests the friend and lets my husband go home.
I have prior drug history 1 fellony conviction in 2000 and a few paraphanillia misdomenors. I have been sober since 06 and I even sponsor for my local n/a group! I'm fighting to regain custody of my baby and I'm very close to getting her back she didn't test tox + a birth I lost her when she was 9 months old after her dad had a brain hemorrage I relapsed and I've been sober ever since trying to reunify with my baby through dependency court.

They didn't charge me with being under the influence because it was obvious I wasn't. Nor did they drug test me upon being booked which I wish they had so I could have that as evidence that I'm telling the truth about being sober. I'm so scared this is going to cause me to loose my baby after all my hard work. And the friend just says "I thought you'd put it in a better place then your bra" thats it not sorry or any plan to fess up! What can I do about this situation? What are my options at this point?

CdwJava

As we are pulling over the old friend in the passenger front seat tosses a baggie at me saying "you have better pockets than we do, put this someplace for me"
Nice quality of old friends. :rolleyes:

The cop checks our Id's and comes back with a small traffic warrent for me asks me to get out of the back seat to sign a paper saying I'll show up in court to handle this.
Nice! Pass the dope to the person with a warrant!

As I'm signing the paper
It's a citation - a release on your promise to appear in court. You're lucky - they COULD have just arrested you.

the old friend took out a paperbag and stashed it under the back seat my husband tells me later.
As I said - great friend.

The cop searches the truck and finds the paperbag with a pipe I've never seen nor touched but I get charged with it because the cop said it was where I was sitting.
Hubbie and friend don't bother to pipe up to protect you?! :eek: How nice.

Just who are these guys?!

I have prior drug history 1 fellony conviction in 2000 and a few paraphanillia misdomenors.
So, you can understand why the police and the court are going to have a hard time believing you, right?

And, why would a guy with a backpack full of dope - and a medical marijuana card - hand you a small amount of his stash, and try to hide a little more of it. Why try to hide a small percentage of his total stash? What it looks like is that this was YOUR stash (well, you and your hubbie's) and you got caught with it.

Was the dope you were caught with marijuana? Meth? Something else?

They didn't charge me with being under the influence because it was obvious I wasn't. Nor did they drug test me upon being booked which I wish they had so I could have that as evidence that I'm telling the truth about being sober.
The charge is not for being under the influence - it is for possession. You were knowingly in possession of a controlled substance. Time to look for a plea deal.

Prop 36 (PC 1000) can get you counseling and a deferred entry of judgment if you are eligible.

When you get an attorney, you can TRY to make a case that the friend made you do this and HOPE that the judge and jury decides you had no choice. But, you DID have a choice. Unfortunately, you made the wrong one.

Then your husband just lets you go to jail without piping up to say what happened?!

Unbelievable.

- Carl

outonbail

I'm having a hard time believing that someone who sponsors for N/A would willingly hide another drug addicts meth. Why didn't you just throw it back to him and refuse his request or tear it open and dump it out?
Sponsors don't hold meth so they can give it back to the addict when the coast is clear,,,,

Why didn't the officer who was pulling you over, notice this exchange between you and the true bad guy?
If you're telling the truth, then you have to be one stupid, sober drug sponsor. You shouldn't even be hanging out with these drug addicts, regardless of this note from his doctor and his claimed illness! Doctors don't hand out notes for hash and meth, so maybe that's why he's sick/ill?

I can tell you one thing, if I was riding in a car and someone tried to hand me a bag of meth while the police were pulling us over, or any other time, I tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine and I don't sponsor anyone from NA!

You need a much better story dear. Or you need the guy who shoved it on you to stand up and claim it. However, even if he were to do so, there's no guarantee the courts will drop your charges.

Your only hope is to try to offer up the big dealer. Which is another dangerous game to involve yourself in. But if someone expects you to take the fall for them, they deserve to be identified.

But I still think that all three of you knew about this cache of drugs and you all had no problem driving around with them in your vehicle....

So you should have known what the price was for doing so and getting caught, so quit your crying and take your lumps. It was your own damn fault!

COtenant

The best legal and LIFE advice is change your ways. Stop hanging out with users; they're toxic.

Generally, if its on You, its YOURS. Take your licks and show up at court.

You have obviously seen what drugs do to you and your family. You obviously know about relapses and the influence of druggie friends. If you were changing your ways for real, you would stop hanging out with a friend that passes off his stash to you and leave a husband that lets you take the fall....but you love him? he obviously doesn't love you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">