• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i dont know what to do. two new charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sp2442

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia'

I was caught shoplifting a pair of pants I needed for a new job and I didnt have the money to buy it. Well they searched my purse. Inside I had a pill bottle with less than a gram, mostly shake and stems. I also had a glass pipe. Well they wrote me two summons, one for shoplifting (which is my second offense) and another one for possesion of marijuana code number 18.2-250.1. They didn't write me for a paraphenalia charge, which I thought they would of. I currently have a restricted license with some limitations. two years ago I also had a charge with possesion of controlled substance for my adderall. they dropped it, but i had to do vasap. i have no idea what to do or how to fight this. Should I get a public defender if I qualify or pay out of pocket for a good attorney?

Will this be made public? I haven't been convicted yet. My court date isn't until the end of October.

Antigone*

I was caught shoplifting a pair of pants I needed for a new job and I didnt have the money to buy it. Well they searched my purse. Inside I had a pill bottle with less than a gram, mostly shake and stems. I also had a glass pipe. Well they wrote me two summons, one for shoplifting (which is my second offense) and another one for possesion of marijuana code number 18.2-250.1. They didn't write me for a paraphenalia charge, which I thought they would of. I currently have a restricted license with some limitations. two years ago I also had a charge with possesion of controlled substance for my adderall. they dropped it, but i had to do vasap. i have no idea what to do or how to fight this. Should I get a public defender if I qualify or pay out of pocket for a good attorney?

Will this be made public? I haven't been convicted yet. My court date isn't until the end of October.
You might want to put the job huting on hold. You might be doing time. And, yes unless you are a minor it is public information.

tranquility

While I am of the opinion one should always plead not guilty unless you have agreed to a deal, I'm not sure what you want to "fight". The arrest has probably already been in the police log, so it is "public", as will the court case. Use the public defender if you qualify or, try for an attorney on your own. I was once told by an attorney who I didn't think was that good why he got all the business he did. He replied something to the effect, "would you rather have an attorney that knows the law or one that knows the DA?" I'm thinking you need more of the latter so you can make a deal.

justalayman

i dont know what to do. two new charges
well, I know what NOT to do and hopefully, so do you by now.

two years ago I also had a charge with possesion of controlled substance for my adderall. they dropped it, but i had to do vasap
Something about that statement just doesn't make sense. You were charged with possession of YOUR Adderall? Maybe adderall you had in your possession but if it was your adderall, it would seem you would just show your scrip and walk away.

If you can afford an attorney, by the courts determination, you will not have the choice of a PD. If that is the case, you won't have a choice but to hire your own attorney. If you do qualify for a PD, chances are you really cannot afford an attorney so, unless you have friends or family or find an attorney willing to accept payments, you may be relegated to utilizing the PD.

and I guess you just don't understand it but the poor criminal history is going to be worse on the job search than not so perfect pants. Goodwill, Salvation Army, and other such businesses can be a good place to obtain some decent clothes without a huge expenditure. I know JCPenney used to donate all of their out of season but brand new clothes to Goodwill. That means Goodwill was selling brand new clothes at Goodwill prices.

dave33

Yes, this case is now public information.

There really isn't much you can do but go through the motions. You should call around and see if you can retain an attorney for a reasonable amount.

You have made some conflicting statements, such as the charge was dropped but you had to do community service. Normally when a charge is dismissed a dismissal is not accompanied with some punishment. In regards to the possession what doed your record reflect (exactly). Also, why the restricted license? Are you on probation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">