• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I live in CA but i got arrested in NY for possesion of controled substance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trishg225

So basicly, My friends (one while. one black and I'm asian) and I were driving late at night. We were all sober, didnt smoke Marijuana and werent on drugs or anything. All of a sudden a cop pulled us over for a broken tail light and since my friends car was absolutly fithly inside he suspeceted something. He called a few other cops and seached my friends car for a while. We were all confident that they wouldnt find anything but the cop comes out asking us all these questions. He found "something" (supected crack cocaine)... it wasnt as big as a dime! They took us to the police station. in about an hour i was issued a court appreance ticket since im only on vacation in New York and i have to go back to California August 8th they set the court date July 27 (today). I was charged for possession of controled substance Pl 220.03 and I didn't post bail then was sent home.

I arrived at court today. They havnt tested the substance found just yet and found out there was an additional charge of unlawful possession of marijuana. Since i didnt have a lawyer with me i couldnt take care of the case today and setted another court date August 6th.

I talked to a lawyer that was familliar with my case and said that with my clean record and since i have to leave to CA the judge will probably just give me an ACOD or a $50-100 fine (if guilty).

I just need help figuring out what i should do with this lawyer... questions i should ask and i would rather have the ACOD than being guilty because I am def innocent!

Will i have to come back to NY anytime after i leave to CA for another case?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">