• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

if 3 boxes of sudafed is against the law to buy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tweetysocute

yes my question is about a friend of mine had went in walgreens here in AR and brought 3 boxes of wal fed which is generic form of sudafed and i went to jail along with him with a felony charge. there was three of us in the car but only two of us was arrested. the guy that was not arrest was the one that ask me for a ride to the store and when we got to the store he said there is the other guy which had brought the wal fed. i had no ideal what was in his bag and never even thought anything about it until they said we were under arrest for the med. the prosacuter said it is a felony if u have more than 5 gms of Pseudoephedrine. if that is true way are they aloud to sell it over the counter. please let me know something on this issue.yes u can use it to make other street drugs but i just need to know if it is against the law to buy the product. so i will know what i need to do cause if it is not they can not put u in prison for something that is legal. that was the only thing that was in my car. there was nothing else that use to make the drug in there. i think u shoul have more than 1 things that it take to make it before they can put u in prison.

thanks
christy

[Edited by tweetysocute on 01-01-2001 at 10:41 PM]

HomeGuru

There is more to this story than what you have posted. That drug is used to make other street drugs.

T

tweetysocute

HomeGuru said:
There is more to this story than what you have posted. That drug is used to make other street drugs.
yes i know it is used to make a street drug but i had no ideal he had brought the product.and i think u should have to have more than one thing that makes the drugs before they can arrest u in put u in prison for it. but if it is not against the law how can they arrest u for it? that would mean my mother or for insteance your mother went to the store and brought 3 boxes she would go to jail for it.
thanks for reply to me but i need to know about the law on it so if u know please let me know.
thank you
christy

N

Not Guilty

I am from Arizona but the law is probably similar in your state. It would seem that you can not knowingly possess 5 mg. of extracted "pulled" pseudoephedrine. Most diet pills and or cold tablets do not contain 100% pseudoephedrine, the pseudoephedrine has to be extracted. Pseudoephedrine is typically the main ingredient in the clandestine manufacture of methamphetamine. Possession of 5 mg. of cold tablets is probably not illegal what is most likely illegal is the knowing possession of the extracted precursor. CONTACT A LOCAL ATTORNEY IF YOU WANT TO RELY ON THIS ADVISE.

[Edited by Not Guilty on 01-03-2001 at 05:43 PM]

racer72

My state just enacted a law restricting the same of cold tablets that can be used for the manufacture of meth. If your friend was in possesion of what would be considered more than what the manufacturer suggests for maximum dosage for a set period of time, he was probably breaking the law. In fact most states have laws that restrict the sale of any non prescription medications to maximum dosage recomendations. And I would bet the clerk that sold the drugs is also the one that tipped off the police. Sounds like you need to find new friends.

kristin8403

I also live in Arkansas and I know exactally what your talking about. This state is crazy when it comes to that law. But then again, we do have a big problem with meth around here so I understand somewhat why the law is the way it is.

I read up on some pretty interesting info tho. The police will track down anyone who's name they see appear on the tracking system who they believe is a meth user or cook suspect, even if they haven't reached their limit. They will also track you down if your buying habbit seems suspicious.... like if you buy a box at one store and then buy another box at another store in the same day or very close days apart, even if you still haven't exceeded your "limit".

All of the stores are linked in, online, with the law enforcement AND remember, the dates show up on each purchase. So it doesn't matter if you buy a box at one store and then buy another box at another store because the only reason why people do that is because the store will not allow them to buy more than one box in a day FROM THAT PARTICULAR STORE. The police will still be able to tell what you bought, where you bought it, and when you bought it & when it comes down to it, its what the police see that counts.

So, pretty much...
*If you buy more boxes than a "normal sick person who needs the pills" would take within a sensible amount of days that you'd actually be sick (wheither you buy them in one day or within a couple days), your gonna be a suspect to the law and may be arrested. Even tho that actually isn't against the law. The federal law says that the legal limit for purchases is 9 grams per MONTH!
*If you buy a box and you are already suspected of being a frequent meth user, a meth cook or you associate with anyone who is a suspect & the law knows this info, your gonna be a suspect to the law and again.
*If your seen getting in or out of a car at the store with other people who are also buying boxes, your gonna be a suspect to the law.
And they will use all of those as reasons to arrest you... because your doing something suspicious.

Now, in my personal opinion....
Yes, it is obvious that if someone's name appears on the tracking system more than one time in a day or someone buys 3 boxes within a week, that person is more than likely up to something. But thats not the point, how can you arrest someone for looking suspicious? If you have 3 boxes in a car and you have 3 people in a car, thats one box to each person. That is not against the law, no matter what the police may think it looks like.
I know that our law enforcement believe that they are doing the right thing, trying to clean up a horrible drug problem, but how does that give them the right to profile people and arrest people who haven't gone over their limit???

The reason why I first became interested in the whole subject to begin with, started when I went to a local walmart to buy a box of Sudafed. I'm a very well dressed woman who has a decent job & do not use drugs. I was sick and I was also 2 months pregnant (and sudafed is the only cold med that is safe for pregnant women to take). I got to the pharmacy line, and waited my turn, just like everyone else was doing. When it became my turn at the counter, I told the woman what I wanted. She changed from her nice, cheerful attitude, to a sour old bitch. Then she rolled her eyes at me, grabbed a box from behind her, slid it down the counter to the other end and stated "you have to go in that line over there to buy those." When I looked over at the line she was talking about, I saw two men standing there. Both were buying 24 sudafed and both looked like they had been using meth for years. They were dirty and wearing torn clothing. I was made to go stand behind these men and thats when I noticed everyone else around, staring at me and suddenly acting as if I was such a horrible person. I was profiled simply because I was asking for one little box of pills to make me feel better.
What the stores and the law enforcement is doing, is wrong and it needs to be stopped. If I were ever in such a situation where I knew that I was not doing anything wrong but was arrested anyway, I'd fight it to the core! Which is what you shoulda done. When it comes down to it, the judge can not charge you when there is NO law against what you did.

kristin8403

Yup. I do realize that. But I went ahead and replied for anyone else who may want to know the newest things about the law. ;)

CdwJava

Law enforcement did not make the law that you complain about - your state legislature did. The store has to comply with the law.

Your experience is certainly not mine. So, if you get that kind of service and attitude at your local store, change stores.

- Carl

cvdesign

Law enforcement did not make the law that you complain about - your state legislature did. - Carl
I don't envy LE ... remember the bill those yahoos almost passed about banning baggies?? :eek:

Can you imagine the crud LE would get from crafters over enforcing that particular bit of stupidity?!

Of course, I'm biased -- not only am I quilter, but an embroiderer ... and my DD is a beader, so we buy'em by the gross practically!! ;)

xylene

I don't envy LE ... remember the bill those yahoos almost passed about banning baggies?? :eek:

Can you imagine the crud LE would get from crafters over enforcing that particular bit of stupidity?!

Of course, I'm biased -- not only am I quilter, but an embroiderer ... and my DD is a beader, so we buy'em by the gross practically!! ;)
The google bill was even worse. ;)

angler_2163

Christy,

You and your friends knew why you were there. If you knew it was able to make street drugs, and you're here trying to find a technicality out of it by outlining and clarifying specifics, you knew what you were doing. Also they wouldn't just arrest you and your buddy who bought them without proper reason and not the guy in the backseat. They had reason to believe that both of you were involved. You got busted, deal with the jail time. In fact at this point you're probably behind bars as we speak.

Proserpina

Christy,

You and your friends knew why you were there. If you knew it was able to make street drugs, and you're here trying to find a technicality out of it by outlining and clarifying specifics, you knew what you were doing. Also they wouldn't just arrest you and your buddy who bought them without proper reason and not the guy in the backseat. They had reason to believe that both of you were involved. You got busted, deal with the jail time. In fact at this point you're probably behind bars as we speak.

Remind us again why you resurrected a TEN YEAR OLD THREAD?

No, don't.

Just please don't necropost.

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">