• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If Marijuana is legalized, will the drug offenders stay in jail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BOR

OK. I will continue to point out your errors.

Info edit:
I just went back to your link. Um, getting the point of something really isn't your strong suit is it?

As was listed above the case, the point was states can be more restrictive than the federal rule in Mimms. (The case which was being discussed.) What difference would it make which state was used to point that out?
It was IRRELEVANT to the posters state. That is a sorry attempt at rationalization.

justalayman

As a note the number of people in prison in CA for possession of marijuana is very minimal, and dollars to donuts they pled to the possession of more than an ounce to avoid much more serious offenses to include sales.
say it isn't so!! What happened to steven and everybody else screaming from the mountain tops about how there are soooo many people incarcerated for silly little possession charges.

I guess they must have been exaggerating a wee bit.:eek:

CdwJava

say it isn't so!! What happened to steven and everybody else screaming from the mountain tops about how there are soooo many people incarcerated for silly little possession charges.

I guess they must have been exaggerating a wee bit.:eek:
It's much more dramatic sounding to make people think that "harmless" drug offenders are crowding the state prison system.

I don;t know that Steven's done that, but others have.

xylene

Hello - it is incrementalism.

Legalizing marijuana is the first step to abolishing the war on drugs.

Cocaine / crack, opiates, meth, LSD and Quaaludes to name a few - those too are silly little drug possession charges with looooong sentences, the price of which is worse and more costly than the underlying problems.

Plus, I want the pushers to be free too.

It's much more dramatic sounding to make people think that "harmless" drug offenders are crowding the state prison system.

I don;t know that Steven's done that, but others have.
Why, thank you Carl, as I never said that at all... as drugs hovers at about 20% population.. so our prisons are in fact not full of harmless people originally sentenced for minor drug offenses. County jails do a good business of rotating harmless druggies apparently doing life on an installment plan.

Our prisons are in fact full of brown and black people, to the tune of about 75% according to 2008 numbers, put there by white people.

Sound about right in your experience carl?:D

Last edited:

justalayman

Legalizing marijuana is the first step to abolishing the war on drugs.

Cocaine / crack, opiates, meth, LSD and Quaaludes to name a few - those too are silly little drug possession charges with looooong sentences, the price of which is worse and more costly than the underlying problems.

Plus, I want the pushers to be free too.
Holy Christ. You think crack, LSD, and meth are silly little drugs? You must live in a cave or are just plain ignorant of the problems those 3 drugs cause.

BOR

.... You think crack, LSD, and meth are silly little drugs? You must live in a cave or are just plain ignorant of the problems those 3 drugs cause.

When taking Vice control at College we learned about various drugs, bennies, reds, I have no idea what they are now, it was so long ago.

ANY drug + alchohol is a potential deadly combo.

justalayman

When taking Vice control at College we learned about various drugs, bennies, reds, I have no idea what they are now, it was so long ago.

ANY drug + alchohol is a potential deadly combo.
It's not just that. . Both crack and meth of them are devastating to the users. While people want to argue pot is harmless and not addictive, crack and meth are absolutely addictive and extremely harmful to the user.
A person on LSD tends to do real stupid things and gets killed doing them due to the overwhelming affects of the drug. It also can cause permanent damage to the users brain function.

Those are not "silly little drugs".

BOR

It's not just that. . Both crack and meth of them are devastating to the users. While people want to argue pot is harmless and not addictive, crack and meth are absolutely addictive and extremely harmful to the user.
A person on LSD tends to do real stupid things and gets killed doing them due to the overwhelming affects of the drug. It also can cause permanent damage to the users brain function.

Those are not "silly little drugs".
Yes, we learned about differnet kinds of the hard stuff.

Speed or meth will "age" a person significantly, a trained officer can tell a before and after picture.

Holy Christ. You think crack, LSD, and meth are silly little drugs? You must live in a cave or are just plain ignorant of the problems those 3 drugs cause.
Crack I havent seen in awhile. People just smoke meth now. LSD or shrooms you run accross every now and then, say a particular concert rolls through or something. I dont consider LSD or shrooms to be more than a little deal. Meth is pretty bad on people but I dont really care if someone wants to sit around their house and smoke meth. Meth heads are irritating to talk to because they think the lying fantasy they are telling you is believable and their skinny hair less tooth falling out scabbed faces are kind of nauseating.

Heroin users and even coke addicts can be fairly well functioning people. I would consider them a little deal. Alcoholics are usually some of the worst of the tore up, plus they are so violent and impaired. Drunks are considered a little deal under the law; but compared to the others in terms of havok and harm they cause other people (which should be the key to our laws), drunks are the worst of all druggies and drunk in public, and following the lead of drugs, should be in felony. Pot heads are the easiest and most harmless of them all. But some pot heads turn into lazy bums .. but again... how that affects me escapes me so I dont really care what they do.

For the most part, without the MJ arrest numbers to support it, there arent enough issues or arrests of these other drugs to justify the billions and billions dumped into the toilet try to wage war on Americans.

The government plays little tricks like "Go to a program or go to prison" so the of course choose a program... then the govt publiches a report "Look how many are so addicted they are in drug rehab!!".. but its games. So yeah, little deal.. IMO.

If these druggies or drunks hurt someone else, yes, we should crush them to pieces.

BOR

Steven, did you see the case a few weeks ago, I think it was NH/MA, where they ruled a woman can NOT be charged with child endangerment, etc., if the baby is born addicted.

justalayman

LSD or shrooms you run accross every now and then, say a particular concert rolls through or something. I dont consider LSD or shrooms to be more than a little deal.
LSD users tend to lose track of reality. There were a lot of deaths attributed to LSD simply because the people lost contact with reality and thought they could fly, or walk across the street in front of a car,. whatever. I understand the drug itself isn;t truly harmful, it just puts a person in a place they do stupid things.

Meth is pretty bad on people but I dont really care if someone wants to sit around their house and smoke meth
.and become a useless part of society and either go on welfare or steal money to support their habit. Sure, no problems there.

Heroin users and even coke addicts can be fairly well functioning people. I would consider them a little deal.
Oh, now heroin users aren't a problem. I guess since heroin is ok for you, that we should remove any opioid drug from scheduling classification. Ar you frickin nuts? They are extremely addictive and they cause a lot of problems in society.

Drunks are considered a little deal under the law
;really, You might want to check into deaths caused by alcohol use and motor vehicles.

. Pot heads are the easiest and most harmless of them all. But some pot heads turn into lazy bums .. but again... how that affects me escapes me so I dont really care what they do.
because they have to support their habit somehow. If they don't work, then it is either welfare or illegal acts. Both of those do affect you greatly.

For the most part, without the MJ arrest numbers to support it, there arent enough issues or arrests of these other drugs to justify the billions and billions dumped into the toilet try to wage war on Americans.
well hell, I guess you could say the same thing about any crime so let's just abolish all laws. What the hell, all they do is cost us money and what do we have to show for it? We have to spend money on jails and police to enforce them. What a waste of money.

If these druggies or drunks hurt someone else, yes, we should crush them to pieces.[
a smart person is proactive. Reaction is for the ignorant and unprepared.

LSD users tend to lose track of reality. There were a lot of deaths attributed to LSD simply because the people lost contact with reality and thought they could fly, or walk across the street in front of a car,. whatever. I understand the drug itself isn;t truly harmful, it just puts a person in a place they do stupid things.

.and become a useless part of society and either go on welfare or steal money to support their habit. Sure, no problems there.
Token cases. I dont see these problems and I do this everyday. it is not a widespread issue.
Oh, now heroin users aren't a problem. I guess since heroin is ok for you, that we should remove any opioid drug from scheduling classification. Ar you frickin nuts? They are extremely addictive and they cause a lot of problems in society.
like what? I dont see a big heroin problem.

;really, You might want to check into deaths caused by alcohol use and motor vehicles.
So when are we going to start punishing drunks with felonies and prisons to begin with.. instead creating a business of making money off them with lame DUI laws? 1st DUI = felony.

I think we all agree alcohol users are the worst druggies and should be handled as such.

a smart person is proactive. Reaction is for the ignorant and unprepared.
The laws have nothing to do with the people involved and everything to do with the powers of government and tax money to support that big guvmt.

The vast majority of issues are isolated and do not affect others or created by the illegality itself, not the drug.

justalayman

E=StevenJ_420Law;2607786]Token cases. I dont see these problems and I do this everyday. it is not a widespread issue.
Not now. It was made illegal and there are a lot of drugs easier and cheaper to get. You are talking about legalizing it though which means it will become very available. That changes things a lot.

l
ike what? I dont see a big heroin problem.
must be your area but again, cost and availability compared to other drugs directs users to specific drugs generally. You legalize it and it will become very popular, again.

So when are we going to start punishing drunks with felonies and prisons to begin with.. instead creating a business of making money off them with lame DUI laws? 1st DUI = felony.
ok

I think we all agree alcohol users are the worst druggies and should be handled as such.
actually, the reason alcohol appears to be the worst drug out there is because it is so easily available. You start legalizing all the drugs you want and problems associated with those drugs will become a lot more commonplace.

The laws have nothing to do with the people involved and everything to do with the powers of government and tax money to support that big guvmt.
the laws have nothing to do with the people involved.

Are you that kidding or blind? California is on the verge of legalizing pot. If your claim were true, then legalizing pot would never be a possibility.

The vast majority of issues are isolated and do not affect others or created by the illegality itself, not the drug.
a typical anarchists argument. It isn't the people that cause the problems. It is the law causing the problems. Remove the laws and we will have a Utopian society.

tranquility

Steven, did you see the case a few weeks ago, I think it was NH/MA, where they ruled a woman can NOT be charged with child endangerment, etc., if the baby is born addicted.
This is often the case because of the way the statutes are written. "Child" often has the meaning of being born and a number of courts have held the unborn can't have the statutes applied to them. CA is certainly that way since the late 70s, as is MA since 1990. The concept of fetal abuse or fetal endangerment seems to be changing, however, with states rewriting their statutes to get over the legal problems. In a paper written in 2008, the author claimed only South Carolina makes it illegal.

However, another written in 2009, claimed all but three states, South Carolina, Kentucky and Alabama have found the criminal prosecutions against pregnant women based on their use of drugs while pregnant unconstitutional. That same paper also wondered why there are still so many prosecutions of the crime still put forward.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">