• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If Marijuana is legalized, will the drug offenders stay in jail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Not now. It was made illegal and there are a lot of drugs easier and cheaper to get. You are talking about legalizing it though which means it will become very available. That changes things a lot.
would you start doing heroin and LSD if legal?

me either.

actually, the reason alcohol appears to be the worst drug out there is because it is so easily available. You start legalizing all the drugs you want and problems associated with those drugs will become a lot more commonplace.
If they arent as debilitating as alcohol, and most arent, maybe they would replace alcohol.. and hence less trouble.

the laws have nothing to do with the people involved.

Are you that kidding or blind? California is on the verge of legalizing pot. If your claim were true, then legalizing pot would never be a possibility.
The state or agencies have nothing to do with it being legalized. Those groups very much want to keep their enforcement funding and bull crap laws. CA is a direct democracy state. If Passed, that is by the people.. not our government.. just like Prop 215 in '96.

a typical anarchists argument. It isn't the people that cause the problems. It is the law causing the problems. Remove the laws and we will have a Utopian society.
Typical handwringer argument is to talk in extremes to attempt to negate the norm. Its hyperbole. Strawmen.

justalayman

E=StevenJ_420Law;2607849]would you start doing heroin and LSD if legal?

me either.
Me? no but then I don't do any illicit drugs. Do I know a thousand people that would? Probably.

If they arent as debilitating as alcohol, and most arent, maybe they would replace alcohol.. and hence less trouble.
Ya, I can see a driver tripping on LSD being less of a threat to the general public.

You don't compare and accept the lease damaging. You control all of them if they need be.

The state or agencies have nothing to do with it being legalized. Those groups very much want to keep their enforcement funding. CA is a direct democracy state. If Passed, that is by the people.. not our government.. just like Prop 215 in '96.
so make up your mind. In one breath you say the only reason it is illegal is so the gov can get money from it and then you say that the gov cannot have that type of control in California. I guess the fact those drugs are currently illegal means the people of California want them to be illegal then, right?

Typical handwringer argument is to talk in extremes to attempt to negate the norm. Its hyperbole. Strawmen.
you are the one that claimed my statement about Crohn's disease and MJ (in another thread) magically applied to all possible medical claims for MJ. I guess you are just as guilty.

justalayman

You need a new group of friends.
I didn't say they were my friends. I said I probably know a thousand people that would use LSD if available. If you are a cop, I suspect you know 10 times that number that would use it if available. Should I suggest you find a new group of friends?

I didn't say they were my friends. I said I probably know a thousand people that would use LSD if available. If you are a cop, I suspect you know 10 times that number that would use it if available. Should I suggest you find a new group of friends?
No I cannot say i can think of 1000 people that would suddently start using LSD... but lets say i did. Why do I care if they use LSD?

Because they lose reality or some such? So? I know another group of people that lose touch with reality. Drunks.

This desire of yours (and others) to control other people on one level while pushing them into another level, has been fairly dangerous and now we have a pretty good sized federal government and state governments with their hands in every part of our lives.. I'm sure you love the warm fuzzy obama blanket of comfort. Me?

Not so much.

xylene

would you start doing heroin and LSD if legal?
And some of us haven't been waiting on the law.

I've used my hand to clear a garbage disposal many times, but I've never stuck my hand into a running in-sink-erator.

I've drank enough to puke, more than once, more than once.

People manage risks all the time.

Why should the risk of life destroying incarceration be the primary and overwhelming disincentive risk fielded by the law to dissuade me from a mild risk?

Why should I and we as a society be paying through the nose to create disincentives to people in an arbitrary calculation of risk

justalayman

=StevenJ_420Law;2607899]No I cannot say i can think of 1000 people that would suddently start using LSD... but lets say i did. Why do I care if they use LSD?

Because they lose reality or some such? So? I know another group of people that lose touch with reality. Drunks.
as I said before, you don't choose the lesser of the evils and accept that one as being ok. You control all of the evils. You are hell bent on saying legalizing a drug should be allowed because it is not as bad as another drug. That is a foolish means of determining how harmful something is. Using that, I guess we should allow China to send toys with melamine in them here because it isn't as bad as lead or mercury. They are all bad so you restrict all of them.

This desire of yours (and others) to control other people on one level while pushing them into another level, has been fairly dangerous and now we have a pretty good sized federal government and state governments with their hands in every part of our lives.. I'm sure you love the warm fuzzy obama blanket of comfort. Me?
I have a serious problem with the government for many reasons but still the same, I do understand that there are and will be laws, regardless of how much I like or dislike them. I also am intelligent enough to realize that many of them are necessary. Anarchy would be a real bitch of a thing to live with.

justalayman

Why should I and we as a society be paying through the nose to create disincentives to people in an arbitrary calculation of risk
I have yet to see poll of the general public that shows the majority want to legalize any drugs currently outlawed. Until that happens, why should the majority of our society bend to the whims of the minority?

I have yet to see poll of the general public that shows the majority want to legalize any drugs currently outlawed. Until that happens, why should the majority of our society bend to the whims of the minority?
Hmm.. is that why the miniorities get imprisioned at about 3X their population per 100K.. vs your beloved "majority." Because they can? And because they can, that makes it right.

I suppose that is nice if you are a majority.

justalayman

Hmm.. is that why the miniorities get imprisioned at about 3X their population per 100K.. vs your beloved "majority." Because they can? And because they can, that makes it right.

I suppose that is nice if you are a majority.
maybe it's because they actually committed the crime. Ever think of that? Bill Cosby did when he spoke to the NAACP and said to quit blaming everybody else for all the black people in jail. If they wouldn't commit crimes, they wouldn't go to jail.

so, the solution to their problem would be to not break the law. See how easy it is to solve the problem?

xylene

so, the solution to their problem would be to not break the law. See how easy it is to solve the problem?
Sooo... the solution to society's problem of disparate incarceration would be to repeal the law.

See how easy it is to solve that problem.

Why is there air?

justalayman

Sooo... the solution to society's problem of disparate incarceration would be to repeal the law.

See how easy it is to solve that problem.

Why is there air?
but anarchy would not solve society's problem. That is the same argument that steven is making about the drugs; remove the law and they won't be criminals. That does not change how society will deal with rampant drug use whether it is legal or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">