• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i'm confused by the new marijuana laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CdwJava

If you stayed off of drugs, perhaps you'd be less confused.

But, more to the point, what state's marijuana laws confuse you?

jiggy78

Oh please. I don't smoke and I'm confused all the time. The occasional joint is no worse than the occasional beer. Too much money has been spent on fighting harmless recreational drug use.

JennK2009

Ha! You should be confused! The stoners got smart and moved past, “Legalize” to “Regulate”.

This is a fun time now, and it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. No one knows for sure. Here are a couple of sites to get you started: The first one is from your home state, written by the cops. Very straightforward.

http://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2012/11/09/marijwhatnow-a-guide-to-legal-marijuana-use-in-seattle/

http://norml.org/

http://www.leap.cc/

CdwJava

Oh please. I don't smoke and I'm confused all the time. The occasional joint is no worse than the occasional beer. Too much money has been spent on fighting harmless recreational drug use.
Ah, yes ... read the research and the long term effects of regular use. It's not as harmless as many want you to believe.

tranquility

At the same time, can ANYONE say (without being a total liar) the federal determination that marijuana is a schedule I drug appropriate? (As to the meaning of "schedule 1".)

Anyone?

Clearly, the government lies. There are other issues involved beyond the stated criteria.

I am socially liberal and believe people have freedom to screw up in their lives. Marijuana seems a minor screw-up, especially when compared to alcohol. Not that we want more to screw up, but, the law is silly on its face. There is no reasonable criteria one can have to allow alcohol and make illegal marijuana. None. We can debate the harm. We can debate the societal problems if made legal or quasi-legal if you'd like. However, comparatively, current law is...silly.

Don't do drugs, m'kay. Marijuana is a drug. It certainly changes your life in many ways. Then again, caffeine is a drug, chocolate is a a drug, aspirin is a drug--there are many drugs. In a free society, drugs are a risk/reward calculation. Personally, while I fear legalization, there is an almost legalization with the "medical use" in California because of the lack of criteria. Sure, it is reasonable for many medical issues (which is why the federal government is lying), but there have been liberties taken. Where are the studies of the harm? Some, who use any crime within a larger than reasonable range, find increased criminality. (Use the same criteria of the bad studies for a liquor store, or a drug store or a grocery store or a library and you will find similar sinister results.) Others, find none.

Let's let federalism rule. Let's see what happens. State experimentation, what a concept.

Last edited:

justalayman

At the same time, can ANYONE say (without being a total liar) the federal determination that marijuana is a schedule I drug appropriate? (As to the meaning of "schedule 1".)

Anyone?

Schedule I substances are those that have the following findings:
The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.
The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision
It obviously cannot fit within that definition. The only statement that is befitting is the first one. :eek::p The second is obviously false. (Dronabinal is a drug permitted to be prescribed). The third statement is also not true. So, based on the fact dronabinal is an accepted medication, even the federal government has to acknowledge the incorrect classification as a schedule 1 substance.

I am socially liberal and believe people have freedom to screw up in their lives. Marijuana seems a minor screw-up, especially when compared to alcohol. Not that we want more to screw up, but, the law is silly on its face. There is no reasonable criteria one can have to allow alcohol and make illegal marijuana. None. We can debate the harm. We can debate the societal problems if made legal or quasi-legal if you'd like. However, comparatively, current law is...silly.
The last I heard, LSD is less harmful than either marijuana or alcohol. Does that mean we should legalize LSD too?

W

Willlyjo

It obviously cannot fit within that definition. The only statement that is befitting is the first one. :eek::p The second is obviously false. (Dronabinal is a drug permitted to be prescribed). The third statement is also not true. So, based on the fact dronabinal is an accepted medication, even the federal government has to acknowledge the incorrect classification as a schedule 1 substance.

The last I heard, LSD is less harmful than either marijuana or alcohol. Does that mean we should legalize LSD too?
What imbecile told you that? Trust me...if we had as many people taking Window Pane Acid as there are potheads or recreational drinkers, there would not be a population explosion in this country at all! ;)

justalayman

What imbecile told you that? Trust me...if we had as many people taking Window Pane Acid as there are potheads or recreational drinkers, there would not be a population explosion in this country at all! ;)

so willyjo, how about some numbers. Show me how bad lsd is.

tranquility

My feelings regarding freedom extend to all drugs. However, it is a far more difficult thing to talk about other drugs than marijuana because the issues are not as obvious or clear. Obvious in the percentage of the population who have experienced or seen someone who has experienced the drug and its effects and clear in determining the harm to society from casual use. While the statistical "harms" from hallucinogen use are far less, so is the the incidence of use. Even among those who are users, it's not like they come home and drop a tab each night and go to productive work the next day as a general rule. With alcohol, nicotine, caffeine or marijuana the likelihood is far greater and a better incidence of problems can be cited.

At the same time, the lack of such regular use may show a decreased incidence of problems as well. Go figure.

LdiJ

My feelings regarding freedom extend to all drugs. However, it is a far more difficult thing to talk about other drugs than marijuana because the issues are not as obvious or clear. Obvious in the percentage of the population who have experienced or seen someone who has experienced the drug and its effects and clear in determining the harm to society from casual use. While the statistical "harms" from hallucinogen use are far less, so is the the incidence of use. Even among those who are users, it's not like they come home and drop a tab each night and go to productive work the next day as a general rule. With alcohol, nicotine, caffeine or marijuana the likelihood is far greater and a better incidence of problems can be cited.

At the same time, the lack of such regular use may show a decreased incidence of problems as well. Go figure.
I actually think that crime would lessen dramatically if mariguana was legalized...on top of that it would be regulated and taxed, the way alchohol, nicotine, etc is regulated and taxed. There will still be many dangerous drugs to be fought against, but I do think that too many resources are fighting against marijuana.

cetiya

i'm not getting into the arguement about whether or not pot is evil or good. we all have our opinions about that and will never agree. what confuses me, is on one hand pot is now legal and on the other hand it is not. i guess the federal government will overlook small amounts and prosecute the major issues.

tranquility

It will be more of a resource issue. Unless the activity is large or the person interferes with federal issues (such as mailing it or bringing it on a plane), it state or local officials who have the greatest interaction with the user, seller or producer.

W

Willlyjo

Put it this way...would you rather let your son/daughter smoke a joint or take a hit of orange sunshine (LSD) if they had to do one or the other?

LdiJ

I cannot give you numbers...but being older than many/most of you I can tell you that it was much more prevalant when I was young than it is now, and it was considered to be far more dangerous than pot, even back then. Nobody ever had a "bad trip" on pot and killed themselves or others as a result of that bad trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">