• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm going to be arrested for a prescription drug offense...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeedAdvice183

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I live in New Jersey but the alleged offense occured in New York.

One night an aquaintance of mine somehow started talking about painkillers. He told me his father was a doctor and he could most likely get him to write me a prescription for oxycodone. A few days later I called him up about it and he told me to come by and pick it up. So I stopped by his house, he gave me the prescription and I filled it. When I ran out I asked him if he could get me another prescription and he did. I never acctually talked to his father.

Some time after that, maybe 9 months or so, I get a call from a detective who wanted to speak to me. I then find out that basically the prescriptions were stolen or forged.

Today I got a phone call from someone from NY's narcotics division. I was told I have to come in next Tuesday and that I'm going to be arrested. I asked what the charges were going to be and he said he didn't know and couldn't tell me.

What could I possibly be charged with? I didn't personally forge the scripts, I didn't know they were forged, I never sold anything, and I never gave any away. I went on a binge with the pills and once they ran out, I stopped using them.

Also, when I go to turn myself in to be arrested, is it worth it to bring a lawyer with me?

Thanks in advance.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I live in New Jersey but the alleged offense occured in New York.

One night an aquaintance of mine somehow started talking about painkillers. He told me his father was a doctor and he could most likely get him to write me a prescription for oxycodone. A few days later I called him up about it and he told me to come by and pick it up. So I stopped by his house, he gave me the prescription and I filled it. When I ran out I asked him if he could get me another prescription and he did. I never acctually talked to his father.

Some time after that, maybe 9 months or so, I get a call from a detective who wanted to speak to me. I then find out that basically the prescriptions were stolen or forged.

Today I got a phone call from someone from NY's narcotics division. I was told I have to come in next Tuesday and that I'm going to be arrested. I asked what the charges were going to be and he said he didn't know and couldn't tell me.

What could I possibly be charged with? I didn't personally forge the scripts, I didn't know they were forged, I never sold anything, and I never gave any away. I went on a binge with the pills and once they ran out, I stopped using them.

Also, when I go to turn myself in to be arrested, is it worth it to bring a lawyer with me?

Thanks in advance.
Don't walk into that police station WITHOUT an attorney present.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">