• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Im not a drug dealer!! I dont even do drugs!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NotADrugDealer

Ohio

Ok. So I was at a bonfire hanging out with some friends and my ex was there, his cell phone was dying and asked me to use mine, so I let him. I didnt know who he was calling or why, the conversations did not take place in front of me. Awhile later, my phone rang and it was for him, I didnt recognize the number or ask who was calling. My ex asked me for a ride to go pick up some money, they owed me money so I said ok. Once arriving, a guy got in my car, my ex pulled out some drugs he had on him and a drug deal was made.(this was on a saturday night around midnight). The deal was made, I did NOT know this was going to happen but said nothing when it happened. I went to leave and as bombarded and almost hit head on my 3 police cruisers. I was told the buyer was weraing a wire. I have never met this person in my life nor ever heard about him. I was pulled out of my car and was immediately put in the back of a cruiser. A few moments later, I was pulled out and questioned by the lead officer of the operation. He asked me when the last time I used, I then told him I dont take illegal drugs and explained how i was a Criminal Justice major and the prescriptions i was on and the medical reasons for them. He asked me if I would be able to pass a drug test and I said Yes the only thing that would show up would be my prescriptions and I get drug tested by my medical provider. He asked me if I was sure I wasnt here to sell my medications and I told him absolutely not. He then asked me if the vehicle I was driving was mine, if it was insured and if it was paid off or on a loan. I told him it was mine and it was paid off and that I worked full time cleaning houses and go to school full time. I was put back in a cruiser to be removed after my vehicle was searched. The officer then came back and asked me about the items he found on my ex which was heroin and syringes. I told him I had no idea that was the first time I have seen anything like that and I dont mess with drugs. He told me what my ex had sold to the CRIMINAL wearing the wire which was like 6 oxycontin pills or something along those lines. I have never seen my ex do drugs let alone seen the drugs in person. I was then arrested for Complicity to Trafficking Drugs and my car was impounded and put on a Holder? My cell phone was confiscated as evidence. When I arrived at the county jail, the officers told me I would be let out on a $10K signature bond. And that I probably wouldnt get my car back indefinetly even if I was found innocent. I was released at 4 am. The following Monday I went to court and received another court date. I called my families lawyers office and left a message for him explaining to him what happened and who arrested me. A few hours later, he called me back and asked if I could meet with him immediately. My mother and I met with him, went through that nights events and a little background of myself. ( just one year prior my sister died from a drug overdose) After telling him what happened, he told us that he had already spoken with the arresting officer and that they had arranged a deal. I was to plead guilty to "obstructing justice" and it would be a misdemeanor 1 and in return I would sign my car over to the police dept. where it would be entered into an auction and I would have the opportunity to buy it back, and testify against my ex and that by doing this it would not affect my ability to be hired for any jobs and could be expunged after a certain amount of time. I asked if there was anything else we could do to ensure my career of becoming a police officer. He told me that we could go to trial, it would cost $5K, and there was no guarantee of not being convicted of a felony and not serving jail time. And there was still a way for the police to confiscate my car by inditing(sp?) it seperately? I felt that the only way to retain a normal life would be to take the deal. So we did. The officer even told the judge that by listening to the tapes that I didnt have any knowledge of the drug deal until it took place. I was convicted of Obstructing Justice, 1 year probation, 24 hrs of community service, $200 fine and was expungeable after 1 year of being off of probation, a total of 2 years. When the time for the police auction rolled around, my car was not in the auction!? That was the only reason I was willing to give it up was because I would be able to buy it back! I was told by the police that they were keeping it for police transportation, how can they do this? Is there anything I can do that would result in me possibly getting my car back? I have since applied for over 20 jobs, went on multiple interviews and know for a fact that 6 times was not hired because of my record. I am at a loss on what to do. I need a job, im qualified for the positions I am applying for but am only offered minimum wage jobs. Sears and Walmart wont even hire me. What happened to this amended charge NOT affecting my opportunities for employment? I need help!!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Cut your post down by 50%
Use spacing between lines
Ask a clear and concise question

cyjeff

That was quite the block o'text.

Anyway.

Your ex used you to make a drug deal to a buyer wearing a wire. The cops confiscated the car you were driving when the buy was made.

You were told by an attorney what your options were and you choose to cop a plea to obstruction.

You don't mention how long it has been since the incident... but if it hasn't been two years, the offense will show up on checks.

Even after expungement, certain agencies, like the police, will still be able to see it.

as to your car? You lost it... they don't HAVE to put it up for auction if they believe they can use it in another purpose.

I feel for you. You let yourself get abused and ripped off by almost everybody involved, including the people that took the oath. Your lawyer should not have had much trouble getting you car back and forcing the charges dropped. My guess is that the person wearing the wire couldn't testify, and your ex was probably offered the same deal he was. They didn't have any reason to offer you that kind of deal because they knew from the tape that you couldn't trade up.
I just hope that you can go through life and realize that not all people that wear a uniform are like that. Hence:"The officer even told the judge that by listening to the tapes that I didnt have any knowledge of the drug deal until it took place."
Try to keep hold of that officers name to help get your record expunged.
If that was the case then in my opinion, even the Judge may have errored.
After your record is expunged, send the police department a bill for the blue book of your car at the time that it was inpounded. You might be surprised.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">