• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

imitation controlled substance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joshualeneir

What is the name of your state? New York

My son has been arrested for the sale of a IMITATION CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE. They allegate that he sold to an undercover officer on 3 different occasions and received 2 felony charges and 1 misdemeanor per incident for a total of 6 felony and 3 misdemeanors. The charges are as follows: 1) 3 felonys of criminal nuisance in the first, violation of section 240.46, 2) 3 felonys of criminal sale of a controlled substance in the third, violation of section 220.39, 3) 3 misdemeanors of imit control subs-1st violation violation of section 3383. All charges are worded as follows: said substance was a white powder which he purported to be cocaine.

I have numerous questions, first being how can a white powder that is not cocaine, or a controlled substance of any kind for that matter (nor was this substance found to be harmful), be not only referred to as a controlled substance but also be classified as the same in regards to felony or misdemeanor charges?

I have spent some time researching an imitation controlled substance and have found that this purported cocaine substance has to fall under the following catagories: it must be said at time of sale that it is a controlled substance, it must look like a controlled substance and it must be within the same price range of the controlled substance. If this is true does it have to be all 3 of the previous descriptions, or is only 1 or 2 of the descriptions in one allegated sale sufficeint to charge a person or hold up in court? There seems to be a very large grey area where this is concerned and the way I see it, which I am well aware is not the way others may see it, is this is no place for a grey area. Should it not be cut and dry? The price range they are claiming for these allegated sales are as follows: 1) 6 grams of a white powder substance which was purported it would be cocaine for $100, 2) 4.5 grams of a white powder substance which was purported it would be cocaine for $100, 3) 2 grams of a white powder substance which was purported it would be cocaine for $100, in that order(all worded as "purported it would be cocaine, kind of like they were disappointed it was not huh?).

I have spoke with a couple of lawyers, of course none of which I can afford but will NOT GIVE UP, one of which stated she had not heard of charges like this or similar to in years. Is this true? We are in a small county, small town...nothing else needs to be added to that.

Do you know of similar cases? What is the status of the current phasing out of the Rockerfeller drug policys? Do these charges fall under any part of the drug law reform?

Any feedback at all will be appreciated and thank you.

JETX

The charges are as follows: 1) 3 felonys of criminal nuisance in the first, violation of section 240.46
New York Penal Code:
§ 240.46 Criminal nuisance in the first degree.
A person is guilty of criminal nuisance in the first degree when he knowingly conducts or maintains any premises, place or resort where persons come or gather for purposes of engaging in the unlawful sale of controlled substances in violation of section 220.39, 220.41, or 220.43 of this chapter, and thereby derives the benefit from such unlawful
conduct.
Criminal nuisance in the first degree is a class E felony.

2) 3 felonys of criminal sale of a controlled substance in the third, violation of section 220.39,
§ 220.39 Criminal sale of a controlled substance in the third degree.
A person is guilty of criminal sale of a controlled substance in the third degree when he knowingly and unlawfully sells:
1. a narcotic drug; or
2. a stimulant, hallucinogen, hallucinogenic substance, or lysergic acid diethylamide and has previously been convicted of an offense defined in article two hundred twenty or the attempt or conspiracy to commit any such offense; or
3. a stimulant and the stimulant weighs one gram or more; or
4. lysergic acid diethylamide and the lysergic acid diethylamide weighs one milligram or more; or
5. a hallucinogen and the hallucinogen weighs twenty-five milligrams or more; or
6. a hallucinogenic substance and the hallucinogenic substance weighs one gram or more; or
7. one or more preparations, compounds, mixtures or substances containing methamphetamine, its salts, isomers or salts of isomers and the preparations, compounds, mixtures or substances are of an aggregate weight of one-eighth ounce or more; or
8. phencyclidine and the phencyclidine weighs two hundred fifty milligrams or more; or
9. a narcotic preparation to a person less than twenty-one years old.
Criminal sale of a controlled substance in the third degree is a class B felony

3) 3 misdemeanors of imit control subs-1st violation violation of section 3383.
Long article.. read at: http://www.health.state.ny.us/professionals/narcotic/docs/article_33_controlled_substances_act.pdf

Looks like your little angel is in deep crap.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">