• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Informants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Setmestr8

What is the name of your state? California
My friends house was raided, they found 3/4 ounce of Meth (all in
one bag) and a scale.They did not arrest him then. They wanted him to work with them, He said no and got an attorney. then they
arrested him. They said he was being charged with possession, And Poss. for Sale. When he was bailed out the charges were for Poss. only.
He was told they had an informant but wanted to protect
their Idenity. (to get further info from them) My friend wanted to file a motion for Discovery but his laywer said the D.A. then would press the dealing charge. Even an affidavid to support the search warrant might have the same result. But since the law states you have the right to see the evidence against you and to face your accuser, Is there any way to access the evidence without my friend risking a possible jail term. Or losing his home.? How can my friend be sure they even had
probable cause to search the house? This is his 1st offence, and he is currently in a Drug program. Thanks in advance for
any helpful advise.

Last edited:

racer72

Could you please direct me to a law that specifically says you have the right to face your accuser? I did a fairly thorough search of your state laws and could find nothing.

S

Setmestr8

Snitches

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to
speedy trial, impartial Jury, and to be informed of the nature and
cause of the accusation, TO BE CONFRONTED WITH THE WITNESSES AGAINST HIM , and have defense council.
From THE CONSTITUTION OF THE USA BILL OF RIGHTS AMENDMENT # VI , thats where I got my information.

racer72

But is this person accusing your friend of doing a wrong to them? No. It is the police and the district attorney that is making the accusations that your friend broke the law. The informant just gave them the info to use against him. The use of confidential informants have been used for years (That is how Al Capone was caught) and courts have allowed this practice to continue. Why is it so important to find out, you want to go beat this guy up?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">