• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

informants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slim-dogg

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was convicted last year of distribution of methadone. I pleaded guilty because an informant had me on tape. I'm not concerned with the charge; that's over, I did the time. But, can I get something official stating the name of this informant? He's not a cop, just a drug dealer/junkie/snitch. I'm not sure whether my attorney filed a motion for discovery, or if the prosecutor just told him informally that they had me on tape. I want the guy's name because he's denying that he snitched on me.What is the name of your state?

CdwJava

Uh ... no. I would be extremely surprised if the police would release the name of the informant just for grins. I wouldn't release the name of any of my informants without a court order, and I doubt the cops in VA will, either.

Move on with life.

- Carl

fairisfair

if your not concerned with the charge, and you have done your time, what is the purpose of having the name of the informant??? ohhhhhhhhh I bet I know****************************..:eek:

Curt581

So you did time on a drug charge, and now that you're back out, you want a little pay-back on the informant... and you want us to tell you how to get it?

Not gonna happen.

The police will NOT give you that information, motion or no motion.

Doing so would be a death sentence for the informant.

fairisfair

So you did time on a drug charge, and now that you're back out, you want a little pay-back on the informant... and you want us to tell you how to get it?

Not gonna happen.

The police will NOT give you that information, motion or no motion.

Doing so would be a death sentence for the informant.
You mean you don't think he wants to thank him for being the catalyst that set him on a better path??? LOL :D

sgtdanmurphy

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was convicted last year of distribution of methadone. I pleaded guilty because an informant had me on tape. I'm not concerned with the charge; that's over, I did the time. But, can I get something official stating the name of this informant? He's not a cop, just a drug dealer/junkie/snitch. I'm not sure whether my attorney filed a motion for discovery, or if the prosecutor just told him informally that they had me on tape. I want the guy's name because he's denying that he snitched on me.What is the name of your state?
You can ask for the court transcipts of your case and see what is there....

CdwJava

sgtdanmurphy said:
You can ask for the court transcipts of your case and see what is there....
Chances are it's not there or the OP would have known the identity of the informant. My guess is that the identity of the informant was never necessary in court so it never came up. Or, he pled to a deal and they never had to pony up with information on the CI in any way.

- Carl

smutlydog

Chances are it's not there or the OP would have known the identity of the informant. My guess is that the identity of the informant was never necessary in court so it never came up. Or, he pled to a deal and they never had to pony up with information on the CI in any way.

- Carl
I know it's too late now but couldn't his attorney have forced the issue before pleading guilty? He could have at least had the day, time and specific circumstances that resulted in the bust. That would be enough for him to determine who the snitch was.

I think it's important before pleading guilty to have that information.How can an attorney file to get evidence suppressed without all the facts?

CdwJava

smutlydog said:
I know it's too late now but couldn't his attorney have forced the issue before pleading guilty?
Maybe. It really depends on how much the case relied on the CI.

He could have at least had the day, time and specific circumstances that resulted in the bust. That would be enough for him to determine who the snitch was.
Because of the obvious implications, we often do not have to reveal the specific details of the CI's contact with the suspect.

I think it's important before pleading guilty to have that information.How can an attorney file to get evidence suppressed without all the facts?
The attorney would have certainly known that an informant existed. We can only guess as to why the issue was not pursued by the defense. Chances are the case did not live or die by the CI so it was not pursued.

- Carl

slim-dogg

What?

If I had taken the case to trial, this dude would have had to testify against me, so I definitely would have heard his name then. But that's irrelevant; I already know his name and the time, date, place. I've known him for years. I just wanted some OFFICIAL DOCUMENTATION to show other people and spread around his neighborhood. And I didn't want anything from the police, I wanted it from the Commonwealth's Attorney's office. I've known plenty of people who were arrested because of informants, and they got the name of the informant, either on a response to a motion for discovery, or an affidavit, or something. Thanks for sharing.

fairisfair

If I had taken the case to trial, this dude would have had to testify against me, so I definitely would have heard his name then. But that's irrelevant; I already know his name and the time, date, place. I've known him for years. I just wanted some OFFICIAL DOCUMENTATION to show other people and spread around his neighborhood. And I didn't want anything from the police, I wanted it from the Commonwealth's Attorney's office. I've known plenty of people who were arrested because of informants, and they got the name of the informant, either on a response to a motion for discovery, or an affidavit, or something. Thanks for sharing.
So you wanted proof of the person who snitched on you for a crime that you pled guilty to.

Who is going to care about that? Except for the other dopers of course????:rolleyes:

fairisfair

Now you're catching on.

I think we all caught on from the beginning. You want to create retribution for the informant that turned your drug dealing into the cops. You are a doper vigilante. The activities that you continue to allow to occupy your mind are indicative of the fact that sooner or later you will be back in jail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">