• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inventory of vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Texas.

In February 2006, I was pulled over by a county officer for stopping past the stop sign. Upon running a check on me, he AND I both discovered there was something wrong with my drivers license. I was totally confused, but he was telling me that it wasn't valid. (Later I found out that due to an unpaid speeding ticket, the judge ordered that my license could not be renewed this year, but time for renewal wasn't until June). The officer was going to allow me to call my boyfriend to come get me, but he was having my vehicle impounded. At this time he told me that he was going to search my car. When I asked him why that was necessary and, as well as asking about my right to consent or not, he informed me that the vehicle was now his property and he didn't need my consent or a search warrant.

During his search of my car, he asked me if there was anything in there (the car) that I needed. I told him, "Yes, my purse and makeup bag." He retrieved them out of the front passenger seat and began searching them, upon which he found methamphetamine and some xtc.

I was arrested and charged with possession of cs pg 2 > 1G > 4G and possession of cs pg > 4G < 200G.

I understand that an "Inventory" had to be taken of the items in my vehicle since it was being towed. However, he was not going to have my purse and makeup bag impounded with my car, so did he have the right to search them as part of taking an inventory?

If I have failed to include a vital piece of information pertinent to providing me with an answer, please tell me and I will gladly reply with it quickly.

Thank you for your time and assistance with this matter,
Kristi Love

Joi in Arizona

Search of purse legal

You are right that the officer was not going to impound your purse, but he is allowed to do a search for weapons (for his safety). I know that it sucks but ever since Terry v Ohio, 392 US 1, 88 S. Ct. 1868 (1968) police have been able to conduct a search for their safety. Consult with an attorney and maybe if you have no priors you can do Drug Court or something like that.:(

Joi in Arizona

How rude!

Excuse me, I had not ever been on this site before. So I didn't know what duplicate post meant. Thank god for the duplicate post police!
:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">