• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just need a lawyer's opinion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rlk217

I'm from Pennsylvania, and in PA you can get pulled over for illegal-tint on a car (anything that inhibits an officer from seeing the inside of the car). My friend Billy got pulled over for his tint, and officer ordered him to put down all of the windows. The officer proceeded to ask me and my other 2 friends for ID, as well as Billy. When I leaned down to my get my ID, the cop saw a bag of blunt guts (tobacco from the inside of a cigar) in my bag. He then asked Billy to step out of the car. When he returned he said "I know somebody has pot. If it's not a lot, you guys will be leaving here real soon. I'm going to find it no matter what, so we can do this the easy way or the hard way." I knew Billy had about an ounce and some zip lock bags, so I decided to give myself up and gave him the gram I had (hoping he would just charge me and I would save Billy from a K9 coming and him being charged with intent to sell). The cop then put me in the back of the 2nd officers police car, and proceeded to search Billy's entire car (including glove box and trunk). He found all of Billy's stuff, and put him in the back of his car. He then proceeded to search both of my other friends' purses (they had nothing on them). The second officer got into his car and asked me for all of my information, and I finally said "am I under arrest" and he said "yes". He never told me I was under arrest, he never read me my rights, and when he was done getting my information he just let me leave. The cop is charging me and Billy with the same thing, and he only wrote Billy up for one gram that he found in the car, not the ounce or the ziplock bag. Can me and Billy be charged for the same thing? Is that allowed? Am I allowed to be charged when I was never put under arrest? He tricked me by saying if it wasn't alot we'd be leaving soon, and it wasn't a lot. I feel like my rights were violated. If I go to court, do I have any chance of getting out of it?

The Occultist

I'm from Pennsylvania, and in PA you can get pulled over for illegal-tint on a car (anything that inhibits an officer from seeing the inside of the car). My friend Billy got pulled over for his tint, and officer ordered him to put down all of the windows. The officer proceeded to ask me and my other 2 friends for ID, as well as Billy. When I leaned down to my get my ID, the cop saw a bag of blunt guts (tobacco from the inside of a cigar) in my bag. He then asked Billy to step out of the car. When he returned he said "I know somebody has pot. If it's not a lot, you guys will be leaving here real soon. I'm going to find it no matter what, so we can do this the easy way or the hard way." I knew Billy had about an ounce and some zip lock bags, so I decided to give myself up and gave him the gram I had (hoping he would just charge me and I would save Billy from a K9 coming and him being charged with intent to sell). The cop then put me in the back of the 2nd officers police car, and proceeded to search Billy's entire car (including glove box and trunk). He found all of Billy's stuff, and put him in the back of his car. He then proceeded to search both of my other friends' purses (they had nothing on them). The second officer got into his car and asked me for all of my information, and I finally said "am I under arrest" and he said "yes". He never told me I was under arrest, he never read me my rights, and when he was done getting my information he just let me leave. The cop is charging me and Billy with the same thing, and he only wrote Billy up for one gram that he found in the car, not the ounce or the ziplock bag. Can me and Billy be charged for the same thing? Is that allowed? Am I allowed to be charged when I was never put under arrest? He tricked me by saying if it wasn't alot we'd be leaving soon, and it wasn't a lot. I feel like my rights were violated. If I go to court, do I have any chance of getting out of it?
Possession does not mean ownership, it refers to who has access to it. If it's in your pocket, then everybody in the car can be charged for possession.
You do not need to be arrested to be charged. Ever hear of somebody getting arrested for a speeding ticket?
Officers are allowed to, and even trained, to lie in the name of justice. Your rights were in NO way violated.
You will probably not be getting out of it. You can, however, try for some sort of plea bargain or deferred prosecution, which may result in higher fines, but a lesser (or no) charge with a slap on the wrist and some probation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">