• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile MJ possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rcckillaz

What is the name of your state? CA
Last saturday I was caught with some mj by the police in Santa Barbara (i'm from Los Angeles). I had less than a gram and he cited me for possession.(code 11357) I keep getting different answers from people i know about punishments. I heard about licence suspension, 8pm curfews, or just some community service. This is my first offence and I'm curious to know what the punishment is realisticly.
please reply =]

CdwJava

rcckillaz said:
What is the name of your state? CA
Last saturday I was caught with some mj by the police in Santa Barbara (i'm from Los Angeles). I had less than a gram and he cited me for possession.(code 11357) I keep getting different answers from people i know about punishments. I heard about licence suspension, 8pm curfews, or just some community service. This is my first offence and I'm curious to know what the punishment is realisticly.
please reply =]
The statutes provide for a $100 fine. With fees and penalties it should be about $266.

If a motor vehicle was in any way involved in the possession the court SHALL order the DMV to revoke your license for up to three years.

As a minor then counseling and probation might also come into play. The actual penalty will vary by county and court. You might want to have your parents consult an attorney.

- Carl

rcckillaz

thanks for replying so quick. anyways, no car was involved whatsoever so I hope that my licence doesnt get revoked. what do I need to consult an attorney for?

The Occultist

thanks for replying so quick. anyways, no car was involved whatsoever so I hope that my licence doesnt get revoked. what do I need to consult an attorney for?
A local attorney is familiar with the courts and knows what they want to hear, and would be most able to ensure you get out of this situation as lightly as possible.

rcckillaz

thank you all very much. if theres any other info, anything at all, please let me know

Last edited:

Slip

You will most likely just get a fine and possibly probation and maybe some community service. I'm going through the same thing for the first time but that is basically what I've heard from friends and advice through this forum. Hope all goes well.

Last edited:

The Occultist

**first of all i'm sorry for the thread jack...if you want me to delete it i will be glad to

i'm also a juvenile who was caught with mj....it was in my car but I wasn't driving it, we weren't smoking in it, the car was just parked near my friends house where we got arrested.

can anyone shed some light on that?

Also you will most likely just get a fine and possibly probation and maybe some community service. I'm going through the same thing for the first time but that is basically what I've heard from friends and advice through this forum. Hope all goes well.
Yes, start your own thread.

rcckillaz

ok after talking with some lawyers and more people i know....i STILL haven't gotten a forsure answer on whether my licence will be mandatorily suspended for a year. i don't want to sound rude but I NEED to know if it will or not. My situation had nothing to do with a motor vehicle at all.

CdwJava

No one can say with absolute certainty what might happen in a proceeding they are not a part of. It is safe to say that it appears unlikely that a suspension could occur, but the courts can do a number of things.

You will only know for sure when you go to court.

- Carl

The Occultist

ok after talking with some lawyers and more people i know....i STILL haven't gotten a forsure answer on whether my licence will be mandatorily suspended for a year. i don't want to sound rude but I NEED to know if it will or not. My situation had nothing to do with a motor vehicle at all.
Nobody here is psychic. You'll find out soon enough.

rcckillaz

hey its been about 3 weeks and one day since my ticket. The cop told me i should get a letter in 2. Whats going on? how long does it usually take?

CdwJava

Well, if you don't hear from them, attend court on the date and time listed on the citation.

- Carl

rcckillaz

there is no court date or anything at all. he said it was going to get sent to me. also he didnt make any check marks in either infraction or misdemeanor...its just blank.

CdwJava

rcckillaz said:
there is no court date or anything at all. he said it was going to get sent to me. also he didnt make any check marks in either infraction or misdemeanor...its just blank.
No date?

Are you under 18?

if you were cited into juvenile court, that would explain the lack of a date. If it's for juvenile court, you will have to wait for notification. Check to see that your contact info is correct on the citation.

if it is not for juvenile court, you might consider contacting the issuing department, or, crossing your fingers and hoping that everyone has forgotten about you. Good luck with that one.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">