• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laws on drug testing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BugHogan

Trying to find info here for a friend. Where is a place I can look up laws on drug testing? (Minnesota-specific) A friend of mine with an exemplary work record was recently subjected to a UA at work. Normally UA's weren't required of this group, the company just decided to UA everyone all of a sudden. He failed because he had smoked a joint with another friend the weekend before. They told him they were going to keep him on and look into treatment and assessment options and then ended up firing him the next day. Practically everyone that he's talked to, including managers of other companies, etc. had said that normal procedure for an employee that hasn't had an on-the-job problems or accident is an evaluation or suspension, not a complete dismissal. Is this true? And as far as work records, is the drug test considered confidential information or can his work release that info to other potential employers? I've known the guy for years, he might smoke a joint a few times a year, if that.

C

Cameron K

A member of my family had a testing problem of a different sort & her civil rights were tromped on over & over again. This may have happened to your friend also.

Did his employer present the test results or were they presented to him by an MRO (Medical Review Officer), which is required by federal law?

Go to the following website to see mandated guidelines for workplace drug testing:

http://jobsearchtech.about.com/library/weekly/aa090301-6.htm?iam=dpile&terms=Gc/ms+In+Urine+Testing

Search for MRO. The MRO is mentioned many times throughout the guidelines & is essential to lawful drug testing. His/her duties are described in every phase of the testing proceedures.

My family member has never met the MRO involved in her case because he didn't exist & unqualified people misread a negative test as positive. When our toxicology expert (a licensed MRO) testified in court, the D.A. just packed his evidence away in his file folder & didn't even call a witness.

By the way, that drug testing expert is Jim Woodford, Phd. He lives in Tennessee & can testify by telephone. Phone 423-821-1146.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">