• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer necessary for preliminary?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krazykamil

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Ok i have been charged with possession of marijuana and several paraphanelia charges. i have been super busy at work and have had little time to find an attorney. the ones i have spoken to are seeking outrageous fees , in my opinion, probably because the crime happened several counties away. they have also told me that at the prelim they find out if im represented and discuss the evidence against me. so lets say if i show up to the prelim without a lawyer, will they just give me a trial date then? the lawyers ie spoken to say theyd try to end it right there on taht day to save trouble as well. thanks

FlyingRon

Call the bar association in the county in which you are going to court. They will be able to give you the names of several attorneys.

Yes it's expensive, but the preliminary isn't a throw away proceeding (unless you're just going to throw yourself on the mercy of the court). This is where your lawyer challenge probable cause, search procedures, and other things that may get charges dismissed. It's often where plea bargains are arranged.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">