• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lease Void in VA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

comicsans

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

...I'm just wondering-- I'm about to rent an apartment, and while it's nowhere mentioned in the lease, the landlord asserts that it's state law that the lease is void if I'm convicted on drug charges.

It's not even a remote risk, but it seems to me like that would be a stupid law to put on the books-- who would want all the convicted drug users and dealers to also be homeless? It seems, in addition, like it'd be an infringement on the tenant's civil rights.

Again, this isn't something I think will be an issue, but it really sounds like he's warning me that he'll do something I suspect would be illegal and claiming it's state law...

Antigone*

It pertains to both drug charges and rental issues, posted it in both. I figured there'd be people in different forums with different areas of expertise. Didn't mean to get your feathers ruffled.
HG is not wearing his boa (I borrowed it ;)) so sorry pal, no feathers to ruffle.

Antigone*

**A: what color was the one I loaned to you?
It was the green, purple and gold one - I felt so fabulous during Mardi Gras.

You'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands to get it back... No wait that was the shotgun I borrowed and didn't give back!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">