• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is it legal to answer no

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Davino

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I was arrested in texas when i was 17 ( im now 27)and charged with feloney possesion of marijuana but not convicted.d I may have been put of probation BUT im NOT sure.

is it legal for me to deny an conviction of a felony in a college application and if so is it than legal for the school to put a hold on my school account because of hearsay about the above mentioned case and a question of wether or not i lied on my application nearly three years ago when i first began ?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I was arrested in texas when i was 17 ( im now 27)and charged with feloney possesion of marijuana but not convicted.d I may have been put of probation BUT im NOT sure.

is it legal for me to deny an conviction of a felony in a college application and if so is it than legal for the school to put a hold on my school account because of hearsay about the above mentioned case and a question of wether or not i lied on my application nearly three years ago when i first began ?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If you were on felony probation on Texas you would remember. I don't buy your B.S. and neither will the school. How do you figure that the uncovering of your conviction is hearsay?

Hearsay is a legal term referring to the use of out of court statements as evidence.

Davino

thank you for your reply,

I assume then, according to your answer, that i wasnt placed on probation because i was allowed to leave texas two days after being arrested. I was doubtful because i have been told that in some cases the terms in which a case ends is sometimes hazy.

Also, I refer to the uncovering of my arrest as hearsay because i believe that someone with which i have shared the information of my arrest has sharred the information with the dean of students at my school. I was told that the record of my arrest would be aspunged and I would continue on in life as if nothing ever occurred.

Now, taking that into concideration, do you have any true legal advice other than criticism about the wording in my question?

cyjeff

thank you for your reply,

I assume then, according to your answer, that i wasnt placed on probation because i was allowed to leave texas two days after being arrested. I was doubtful because i have been told that in some cases the terms in which a case ends is sometimes hazy.

Also, I refer to the uncovering of my arrest as hearsay because i believe that someone with which i have shared the information of my arrest has sharred the information with the dean of students at my school. I was told that the record of my arrest would be aspunged and I would continue on in life as if nothing ever occurred.

Now, taking that into concideration, do you have any true legal advice other than criticism about the wording in my question?
Telling the authorities when a crime has been committed - and defrauding the college is a crime - is not hearsay.... it is what good citizen's do.

Apparently, you believe that no one should be able to narc you out. You are wrong.

Having said that, if you lied to the institution and given the current atmosphere concerning felons in the hallowed halls of higher education, I would consider looking for another school.

Where you DON'T lie on your application.

CavemanLawyer

As mentioned, you'd know if you were put on adult probation because you would have had to report regularly. Unless they outright dismissed the case, there's no other way you could have avoided a conviction other than being placed on probation. So are you sure you weren't convicted?

I find it hard to believe someone can deal with a felony charge and not know the outcome, but if that is really the case than run a background check on yourself. You can do it on the internet for a fee. Or you can simply call the District Court in the county that you were charged in and inquire about the disposition of the case, and even order a copy of the judgment or order of dismissal to show as proof to your institution.

Disclosure forms for jobs and institutions typically have some language saying that you affirm that your answers are correct and truthful to the best of your knowledge. If the question is very specific (were you convicted?) and you put NO even though you think there's a possibility that you were in fact convicted, than that is really the same as lying if it turns out the answer isn't no. You have a duty to verify the accuracy of that kind of answer.

If someone goes and tells the institution that you lied on your form and that fact can be readily verified, than chances are they did verify it before taking action. It takes about 5 mins to run a background check on someone.

Davino

Thank you very much for your answer, I will run a backround check on myself and find out where i stand. Than i am now sure that I was never placed on any probation than.

lullaby0729

I was told that the record of my arrest would be aspunged and I would continue on in life as if nothing ever occurred. QUOTE]

You were told that it would be expunged??? Did an attorney file a petition for expungement?? Its my understanding that most states require this before getting it expunged.

Davino

no i never had an attorney look into this case nor did i have an attorney durring this ordeal.
so I guess when i run a backround check on myself on Monday i will know more about it . Also, i wasnt aware of having to file for expungment so that is good to know. Looking back , i cant believe that i went through this entire ordeal without the benifit of councel.

Last edited:

VeronicaLodge

why dont you just have a background check run on yourself so you can know for sure what you are dealing with instead of all this guessing?

Confused

It you were not convicted then I don't see how you could be placed on probation. If there was no conviction then the charges were dropped or you were found innocent. The other possibility is you never went to court and there is a very old outstanding warrant for you.

the core problem I believe he is referring to is his school problem. They did change the loan procedures for students convicted of certain drug crimes. Basically any felony drug conviction with or without intent is enough to deny loans and thus school admission. So like everyone else said -- a conviction is the only thing that can deny your admission and thus loans.... so were you or were you not convicted?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">