• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal charge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vanessa135

in sept. of 2000 i was traveling across country with a friend, (i am from kansas) got stopped in louisanna on traffic violation. a substance was found in the car, therefore both of us were arrested. currently the charges have been dropped on the other person. my attorney advised me to plea "no contest". then i went before the judge and the judge asked me what the substance was, he said, "cocaine, right?" i told my lawyer no it was meth. then my lawyer told the judge what i told him. the judge replied, "okay". my question is, why did i have to tell them what it was? is there suppose to be a testing done on the substance? i have no prior record at all and this is new to me. i am 45 yr. old. what are my rights?

Last edited:

V

vanessa135

being more specific.....

if you are being charged with possession of a substance, does it have to be tested to see what it is they are charging me with?
as for it being a year old case.....

my lawyer has been having it postponed due to his state representative duties

S

sunnie01

"to "wtd", are you counseling her,or is she counseling you ! how much more "specific can she be ? i was also wondering how you ever passed english! (" here's the a pretty good view"????) to vanessa, i hope for your sake you get some "good" advice !;)

wtd

my question is, why did i have to tell them what it was?
You didn't have to, however, you did volunteer the answer. You could just have easily remained silent. You gave the answer to the lawyer, who then shared it with the court. I would think that this could raise a question regarding the conduct of the lawyer, depending on the circumstances of the conversation (requiring more detail about those circumstances).

is there suppose to be a testing done on the substance?
Your post doesn't specify whether you determined whether or not the substance was actually tested, only that you assume, by the conversation between your lawyer and the judge that it wasn't. Since you pleaded no contest and you freely admitted, through your lawyer, that it was indeed a controlled substance, I don't know why they would neccessarily offer proof that the substance was what you admitted it was. Did you ask if the substance had been tested and/or ask to see the results of the test, had one been performed?

Good luck,
wtd
(Not a lawyer - so no legal advice here)

To the poster immediately above - you've discovered what is colloquially known as a 'typo', thus the thing that you should wonder about is how did I pass typing.
By the bye the opening quotation mark at the beginning of your post is never closed, nor is the opening quotation mark at the word 'specific'.

S

sunnie01

to wtd: very good! you pass! i'm sure vanessa feels much better as well!;)

wtd

Once the question's posed properly Venessa was runnin' for the man.

It's a shame that you can access the net at the public library.

S

Smithy

Yes, I distinctly remember us having a conversation, wondering how it was done and I do believe you've uncovered it, wtd! Good job!
The banjos are janglin' away even louder these days. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">