• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

From a legal point of view

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

epolice

I live in Massachusetts.

I am 17, got caught in Boston with a gram or two on me of marijuana. It is my first offense.

I have a hearing set for some time in October. I have the option (I believe) to go with my parents or by myself. If I go by myself instead of with my parents would that effect the outcome of my hearing? I am looking at community service or it being dismissed I am told.

Also do they send something in the mail giving more info or do I just show up when the guy told me to.

Also my buddy got caught with em but he was only 16 so the officer just let him go without anything...does that make my case not legit?

Last edited:

JETX

I have the option (I believe) to go with my parents or by myself. If I go by myself instead of with my parents would that effect the outcome of my hearing?
Yep. The court will reset your hearing and instruct you to return with your parents.

I am looking at community service or it being dismissed I am told.
Who told you that... and how long have they been an attorney??

Also do they send something in the mail giving more info or do I just show up when the guy told me to.
You do whatever your defense attorney tells you.

Also my buddy got caught with em but he was only 16 so the officer just let him go without anything...does that make my case not legit?
ROTFLMAO!!!
No.

epolice

uh...its just a hearing there will be no lawyers or anything. and a few buddies of mine got it dismissed cuz it was first offense.

Indiana Filer

I live in Massachusetts.

I am 17, got caught in Boston with a gram or two on me of marijuana. It is my first offense.

I have a hearing set for some time in October. I have the option (I believe) to go with my parents or by myself.
Are you sure? Usually minors HAVE to have their parents or guardians with them unless they are being waived to adult court.

If I go by myself instead of with my parents would that effect the outcome of my hearing? I am looking at community service or it being dismissed I am told.
Who told you this?

Show up when the police officer told you to show up. That may be the only notification you get telling you the date and time

Nope. Think of it like a speeding ticket. There may be 20 drivers speeding, but the police only give a ticket to one of the drivers. The fact that the others are also speeding does not make it OK for him to speed. It's the same thing here. You are still being accused of possession.

Your friend might have been given a Promise to Appear ordering him and his parent(s) to go to a Preliminary Inquiry where an Intake Officer will make a recommendation to the Prosecutor on how his case should be handled. You don't know for sure, no matter what he might have told you.

Heck, I get clients all the time that leave after the Preliminary Inquiry thinking that nothing is going to happen to them, and the whole ordeal is over. Not true. They get really surprised when they and their parents get served papers to go to Court, even when I tell them that I'm going to recommend that my prosecutor file formal charges against them.

epolice

ok so if i am being tried as an adult even tho its not really a trial and just a hearing, what can i expect as punishment and will there be something after the hearing? a buddy of mine had 3 grams and got dismissed cuz it was his first offense.

The Occultist

ok so if i am being tried as an adult even tho its not really a trial and just a hearing, what can i expect as punishment and will there be something after the hearing? a buddy of mine had 3 grams and got dismissed cuz it was his first offense.
The possibilities of your punishments can range from absolutely nothing to the max sentencing. If you know people who have gotten off, then perhaps you will too, but don't bank on it.

For the record, nobody on this board is psychic.

The Occultist

That's up to you and how your court system works. I got off very lightly on my drug charges and did not have the aid of an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">