• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal prescription arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Michelle_1107

I dont know where to turn. I was at work where my employer found in my purse my boyfriends bottle of legal methadone. I was immediately arrested and brought to jail. it has been 3 months and the DA has dont nothing with this yet. I went for unemployment and won the appeal, but now the company is appealing that decision. I cant understand why they are fighting so hard. The only thing that I can see is that they did not follow their own policy with suspending me until further investigation. They just fired me on the spot, so I think that maybe they are afraid of a civil suit. Can anybody help me with explaining how this works? I live in Louisiana.

[Edited by Michelle_1107 on 06-25-2001 at 10:00 PM]

K

Knwill

Did they (your work) do a drug test on you to determine if you were using this drug (Methadone)?

If they did and you were in fact using it, there is not alot you can do to defend yourself. Methadone may be a legal prescription, but it can only be used by the person for whom it is prescribed. It cannot be shared.

If they did not drug test you, they would not have had any real proof that you were using this drug.

Of course, it also depends on your former employers policies. If they have a policy that states you cannot have any controlled substances on the premises without a valid prescription (it was not prescribed to you but to your boyfirend), then you broke policy and they had grounds to fire you.

M

Michelle_1107

thanks Nicole

NO I wish that they gave me a drug test, but they did not and they do not have any policy of which I did break. But I feel like I am going up against this BIG company with all their resources at their fingertips. Three people showed up for an unemployment hearing.

L

lawrat

Get a hair analysis done. It tests drug use up to three months prior. try psychemedics.

M

Michelle_1107

they dont care

They think that I bought the drugs from him, they did not alledge that I consumed them. It was a full bottle and they even agreeded to that. The fact is, they assume that I bought it from him. They did not see any money and drugs change hands, but it was in my possession. I told them that it was my boyfriends and that I was just holding it for him, but they arreseted me anyway. And they also terminated me on spot, which the company policy is that I be suspended upon an investigation. I was not. Thanks for responding to my question. I think that it is very admirable what you are doing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">