• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Stop? Paraphernalia?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gideon_4474

Facts of Case: Son and Girlfriend driving back from California to New Mexico in August. When near the NM State line the Navajo Police pulls him over for "Tinted Windows". After the Traffic Stop the Officer gives him a warning citation...After he hands his license back and the Warning Citation the Officer asks if my son has any drugs and could he search the car. My son says no you need a warrant. The Officer tells him that Arizona Law is different than New Mexico Law and he does not need a warrant. He deploys the K-9 who up until that time was caged up in his patrol unit. The k-9 (aggressive alert trained) scratches the 06 Mustang (I own) to hell. The K-9 alerts??? and they search the vehicle (Officer's Backup arrived). The
officer ends up seizing 2 herb grinders bought in California still in their boxes with price tags attached.
The Officer tells my son that he can't own them because they are paraphernalia. He seizes them....does
not cite him nor does he give him a receipt for the items. My son arrives home and tells me what happened. I call the Navajo Police and ask to talk to the officer that stopped him. I do. I even tell him that I have 18 years Federal Law Enforcement experience. He actually states to me that Arizona Law is different that he does not need a warrant in Arizona?????( I know that the K-9 when it alerts that is PC But remember the K-9 was still in the officers vehicle and my son had stated that he could not search. (Was the stop for tinted windows just an excuse to search the vehicle??) I called the Navajo Police IA and requested that my car be repaired. They wanted pictures which I sent and an estimate. They even sent an Officer to Albuquerque to look at the vehicle on Nov 19th. Two weeks later I called and am told that "property management will take care of it. The person with PM is never able to come to the phone. On December 12(Friday) I receive in the mail for my son a summons to appear on the 19 of December before a Justice of the Peace. My son is being charged with a 6th degree felony!!!!!????"Possession of Drug Paraphernalia??? What Paraphernalia? Somebody please tell me....since when is a "herb grinder" considered Drug Paraphernalia??? This is clearly retribution....Anybody with some suggestions? The Summons was sworn by a different officer on November 24!!!! Is the PD and ADA playing hardball on
a young 22 year old with a 3.8 gpa in electrical engineering because I want MY car repaired???

* Answer this Question

FlyingRon

The stop was justified based on the illegal equipment. They don't need either probable cause nor a search warrant to use the drug dog. If the drug dog detects a hit they do have probable cause to arrest and search further.

Grinders are paraphernalia. You can pretend they are innocuous but it won't wash.

Paraphernalia is only a felony in NM if you are selling it to minors.

Your son needs a lawyer, big time.

seniorjudge

The stop was justified based on the illegal equipment. They don't need either probable cause nor a search warrant to use the drug dog. If the drug dog detects a hit they do have probable cause to arrest and search further.

Grinders are paraphernalia. You can pretend they are innocuous but it won't wash.

I agree.

Lawyer time...

Gideon_4474

Question:
illegal equipment? Tinted Windows? Your from another state passing through? Not cited for the tinted windows- Given a warning
Was the Stop just to get into car?
Dog Not Deployed until son said NO to search- was he free to go?
Even with the two herb grinders seized- How do they call it Paraphernalia?
Still in Gift Box (One for Me) You can purchase them on internet? I do
realize that in Arizona Duct Tape can be considered paraphernalia....
No receipt for items?
Not cited for paraphernalia?
This all happened in Aug-
Buy your reply you sound like you are LE or Former
I Have over 20 yearsl Law Enforcement and 10 of that was
in Narcotics- I have never seen anything like this!

Gideon_4474

Don't mess with the Navajo. The laws are different. I grew up in NM in a government town. We might have screwed around on government land, but we left the reservations alone.
I am sure that is what it was all about....I wanted my car repaired and
had contacted the Navajo Police IA- They even sent an officer to albuquerque
to look at the car- in November- I don't think they would have done that
if my son had been charged with paraphernalia....He received just a warning
for "tinted windows" when the stop was made in Aug. I called the Navajo
Police when I saw the car and wanted it repaired. Not till Dec 12 did we
receive a summons to appear in court. The complaint was not signed until
Nov 24- What is with that...A call to the ADA resulted in little info other than
Our paperwork is SLOW!!!!!!

cyjeff

How can it be paraphernalia if it is in the Box?
(I know Duct Tape can be considered paraphernalia)
Are you saying that a crack pipe isn't para. if it is in a box?

What does the box have to do with anything? Well, other than there was no residue in it.

Gideon_4474

So, how many herb grinders do YOU have in your kitchen right now?
I collect Them! 5......My wife refuses to take my advice. I tell her lets fight this
fair and square...She said she already hired a lawyer for $20,000....Do I shoot her
now or later??

Gideon_4474

Are you saying that a crack pipe isn't para. if it is in a box?

What does the box have to do with anything? Well, other than there was no residue in it.
That is exactly what I was thinking!!! I just ran out to my car and took
the Duct Tape out of the trunk. Going through Az tomorrow...don't want
to be charged with Paraphernalia!!!

FlyingRon

Residue is not required in NM. All it needs to be is a device that is intended to be used with drugs. Yes, you can be stopped for window tint that is illegal in that state even if it was legal in your home state. Now you can possibly duck the ticket but the probable cause is there.

If there's a felony charge pending:

1. There's more to their case than you're telling us.
2. Your son needs a lawyer. Felonies just don't go away because of some half-baked constitutional argument.

cyjeff

And a law enforcement officer that has spent 20 years in court rooms should know that. Especially when you are in drug enforcement.

Roo

Boxed or not, were the grinders used for drugs? Would the dog alert on pristine/non-drug grinders?
Mere possession of a grinder not used for drugs should be an easy case for a defense attorney.
Many common items have been perverted for drug use. I've seen pipes made from the cardboard roll in toilet paper. Would that make possession of TP a crime in NM?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">