• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

looking for info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

worriedwife1

I live in Iowa. My hubby was arrested the other day for possession of an illegal substance...cocaine. THe scenario is as such...

Stopped for a loud muffler and snow covering tags.

Upon the stop, officer asked if he minded being searched. My husband does have a possession charge from 4 years ago, so I'm guessing this is why he asked to search him. My husband said yes because as far as he knew, he had nothing to hide. Cop found nothing on his person. Then asked to search the car. Hubby still said yes. In the passenger side door where you keep your maps (or shove garbage in our case), he pulled out what looked to be an empty coke baggie. The cop asked what it was. Hubby said he didn't know. Cop said, looks like a coke baggie. Husband says I suppose it could be given some of the friends I give rides to. Husband was arrested.

Will this charge stick? What is the worst case scenario? BTW, he was given a warning for the muffler and tags...gee thanks:)

CdwJava

Will it "stick"? I suppose that depends on whether there was a usable amount of a controlled substance in the bag.

The worst case scenario might be prison ... or whatever the maximum sentence is in your state for possession of whatever substance might be in the baggie.

No matter the end result, it sounds like your husband needs a better class of friend. I can safely say that *MY* friends aren't dumping dope in my car ... sounds like he needs to make a similar change in associates.

- Carl

worriedwife1

No usable amount. He's got a lawyer, and I guess there is no way to know what will happen until he goes to court. I'm just high anxiety and wish we knew now what to expect. I'm am fully aware of his need to change friends...he seems to feel he needs to "help" his friends who make poor choices by being a good example/mentor. I tell him everyday that it is not his responsibility, but what can you do.

CdwJava

One of the first things they teach you in recovery is the need to change your environment ... in other words, your friends. If he hangs with the same people he used to drugs with, he stands a much greater chance of falling back on old, and bad, habits. He likely has enough of a struggle to keep himself straight - he doesn't need to try and be a rock for his still-using pals.

Good luck.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">