• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is manufacturing marijuana just referring to growing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dholm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

The story begins...
So my boyfriend was arrested for Manufacturing, Possession, and delivery. There is no denying the possession and delivery, but the way I understand it manufacturing is packaging and growing. He had the marijuana in a box in his car (dare I say this was not one of his brightest moments) There were no other baggies or anything in the car. He allowed the police to go back to his house to search because everything he had was in the car. They of course found nothing in the house. He cannot afford a lawyer so he has a court appointed one, but he is not very helpful. I suppose my two questions are 1. Is my idea of manufacturing correct and if so do you know another reason he may be getting charged with it? 2. Is there a way to get another court appointed lawyer?
I already know he is facing serious charges; I just wanted to possibly know more about them. I did some research on my own, but I know there are some lawyers and judges that give helpful information on here sometimes. This is his first drug offense (his only other offense is small misdemeanor of menacing). I would really appreciate any helpful information you can give me, I am currently a college student at the University of Oregon and my boyfriend has completely quit smoking (not that this fact truly matters since it is too late) but he really wants to turn his life around. OH one more question how plausible is it that if he goes to jail his job will fire him. I have heard it is not legal to fire someone based on leave of absence due to jail time, but to me that sounds ridiculous I feel like they would be obligated to fire him. Ok now I have written what feels like a novel… help?
:(

FlyingRon

Manufacturing includes both growing and otherwise preparing for sale. It includes dividing up a larger quantity into smaller bags for street sale.

This is a pretty serious felony. Just because the public defender hasn't been responsive at early stages (and he is under no obligation to talk to you) doesn't mean he can be removed nor that he isn't effective.

Surely they can fire him if he's jailed (or even if he's convicted and not jailed).
Convicted drug dealers are not a protected class. Oregon is an at will state.

dholm

So if none of it was divided and he was not preparing to sell it (it was his stash) then can they still charge with manufacturing?
The only reason he is getting delivery is because it was all in his car, he was not selling. By the sound of it though I am guessing he will not be getting any breaks.
Thank you for both of your helpful comments though, it is much appriciated.

dholm

So if none of it was divided and he was not preparing to sell it (it was his stash) then can they still charge with manufacturing?
The only reason he is getting delivery is because it was all in his car, he was not selling. By the sound of it though I am guessing he will not be getting any breaks.

So can anyone still answer this? Can we fight it and is there a CHANCE we can win?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">