• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana and Assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Attorney007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania. Is it true that if you are involved in a major drug bust, the DEA can take all your assets, including your house and your cars? I don't think that's right.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania. Is it true that if you are involved in a major drug bust, the DEA can take all your assets, including your house and your cars? I don't think that's right.
Its partially correct. Under the RICO act they can seize any assets involved in the crime, as well as any assets purchased with crime money.

Antigone*

Well, Mr. Attorney007, :rolleyes: Since you made this personal by telling us what you think is right, I'll give you my opinion. I don't think it is right that people are involved in drugs:rolleyes:

Drug dealers should lose it all.

Attorney007

Its partially correct. Under the RICO act they can seize any assets involved in the crime, as well as any assets purchased with crime money.
Thanks for all your replies. Ok, so can someone elaborate on this? How can they prove something is purchased with crime money?

OHRoadwarrior

Thanks for all your replies. Ok, so can someone elaborate on this? How can they prove something is purchased with crime money?
They do not have to. They only need to prove you profited from drugs. You need to prove the items were not purchased with drug money to get them back.

Attorney007

They do not have to. They only need to prove you profited from drugs. You need to prove the items were not purchased with drug money to get them back.
Hmm.. Ok, I just find this very interesting, but I think I'm thinking about it at an extreme. Say that someone sells a friend a small amount of marijuana and then the police happen to see it and bust them. Does that mean they are going to come and take your house or your car? I mean if you have a steady job and that is where you make your money, then is something like this likely, or is this more if you have a major operation going on? Does anyone have an example of when they would do something like this by any chance... ? Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">