• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marijuana bowl

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ZLDH0326

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania. I got pulled over today for running a red light. He came to the car and asked if I had hid something under the seat because it looked like I reached behind me... Anyway, he asked if there was anything in the car and could he search I have no record no charges of any kind only had a couple traffic tickets.. so i gave him two bowls and a grinder that I had in my jacket for some stupid reason. After he searched the car and me he told me to go to the car. He came back and told me he appreciated my cooperation and didnt know if he was going to give me a ticket for running the red light or the paraphernalia but i would be receiving something in the mail.... I have no idea what to expect, am i going to have to go to court? am i being mailed a fine? Someone please help me because im freaking out......

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania. I got pulled over today for running a red light. He came to the car and asked if I had hid something under the seat because it looked like I reached behind me... Anyway, he asked if there was anything in the car and could he search I have no record no charges of any kind only had a couple traffic tickets.. so i gave him two bowls and a grinder that I had in my jacket for some stupid reason. After he searched the car and me he told me to go to the car. He came back and told me he appreciated my cooperation and didnt know if he was going to give me a ticket for running the red light or the paraphernalia but i would be receiving something in the mail.... I have no idea what to expect, am i going to have to go to court? am i being mailed a fine? Someone please help me because im freaking out......
I think you have good reason to be freaking out. I suspect you will be receiving something in the mail soon and I also suspect it will be for both running a red light and for possession of drug paraphernalia.

At that time, you would be smart to consult with an attorney in your area of Pennsylvania.

Here is a link to the law on possession of paraphernalia: http://norml.org/laws/item/pennsylvania-penalties-2

And, despite Pennsylvania's new law that allows for red-light-running under some circumstances, it does not appear that the red light you ran falls under this law (hence the policeman pulling you over).

Good luck.

Last edited:

ZLDH0326

I think you have good reason to be freaking out. I suspect you will be receiving something in the mail soon and I also suspect it will for both running a red light and for possession of drug paraphernalia.

At that time, you would be smart to consult with an attorney in your area of Pennsylvania.

Good luck.

he said to me i could arrest you so what should i do....i said throw it in the woods i have nothing on my record and dont plan to....He told me that it would be one or the other and he wasnt sure which yet... so what is coming in the mail? if it was a ticket wouldnt he have wrote the ticket right there? or fine ? i have no idea how this works

quincy

he said to me i could arrest you so what should i do....i said throw it in the woods i have nothing on my record and dont plan to....He told me that it would be one or the other and he wasnt sure which yet... so what is coming in the mail? if it was a ticket wouldnt he have wrote the ticket right there? or fine ? i have no idea how this works
What is coming in the mail for you could be a ticket for running a red light or a ticket for possession of paraphernalia or both.

How this works is that, once you get the ticket or tickets in the mail, you need to read them carefully as they will tell you what you need to do (e.g., when you need to appear in court).

Because the possession of paraphernalia is a misdemeanor subject to jail time, you will want to consult with an attorney. If this is your first offense, you will probably be offered a diversion program (e.g., community service hours, classes, fines, fees) which allows you to escape having a criminal record if you meet all of the terms of the program to the satisfaction of the court.

Running a red light will cost you 3 points on your driving record and a fine.

ZLDH0326

What is coming in the mail for you could be a ticket for running a red light or a ticket for possession of paraphernalia or both.

How this works is that, once you get the ticket or tickets in the mail, you need to read them carefully as they will tell you what you need to do (e.g., when you need to appear in court).

Because the possession of paraphernalia is a misdemeanor subject to jail time, you will want to consult with an attorney. If this is your first offense, you will probably be offered a diversion program (e.g., community service hours, classes, fines, fees) which allows you to escape having a criminal record if you meet all of the terms of the program to the satisfaction of the court.

is there any chance that i just receive a fine and pay it and it be done...

ZLDH0326

him not giving me anything right there and telling me one or the other will be in the mail has got my head spinning...i even told him i was on my way to the methadone clinic...he said something amongst the lines of i dont want to do anything that messes up your recovery...dont remember exactly what he said but something like that

ZLDH0326

him not giving me anything right there and telling me one or the other will be in the mail has got my head spinning...i even told him i was on my way to the methadone clinic...he said something amongst the lines of i dont want to do anything that messes up your recovery...dont remember exactly what he said but something like that

quincy

It depends on what you receive in the mail.

A paraphernalia charge will require your appearance in court. In court, you will have the option of pleading guilty or not guilty to the charge. If you do not have an attorney by the time of your first court hearing, it is generally recommended that you plead not guilty. Another hearing will be scheduled. Between the time of your first hearing and the second hearing, you should seek out help from an attorney in your area.

I recommend you carefully read the ticket(s) once you are receipt of the ticket(s) and go from there.

Good luck.

ZLDH0326

It depends on what you receive in the mail.

A paraphernalia charge will require your appearance in court. In court, you will have the option of pleading guilty or not guilty to the charge. If you do not have an attorney by the time of your first court hearing, it is generally recommended that you plead not guilty. Another hearing will be scheduled. Between the time of your first hearing and the second hearing, you should seek out help from an attorney in your area.

I recommend you carefully read the ticket(s) once you are receipt of the ticket(s) and go from there.

Good luck.
this sucks ive only been up here a month...just goin to pray and hope for the best.... question though are you in any kind of legal work or have you been in a situation like this or are just spitballing what you think... either way i appreciate your suggestions... just curious

CdwJava

I am certain that PA must do things differently, but, it seems very odd that the officer might MAIL you a cite rather than issue it at the scene. But, I agree it is possible you can get both rather than one or the other.

Is your methadone program court ordered, or voluntary?

If you are in drug counseling as part of your methadone program, you may want to mention this as it may affect your recovery. Smoking weed while trying to kick opiates is a bad idea, and makes me think you're not all that invested in your recovery. You should seriously consider focusing on recovery before your drug problem gets you into even more trouble.

quincy

this sucks ive only been up here a month...
What does this mean? Where have you come "up" from? Are you now living in Pennsylvania?

just goin to pray and hope for the best....
That appears to be all you can do right now ... besides making sure you are obeying all laws while you pray and hope for the best.

... question though are you in any kind of legal work or have you been in a situation like this or are just spitballing what you think... either way i appreciate your suggestions... just curious
I get the strange feeling that you did not read the terms of service of this site when you registered. ;)

Nothing offered in the way of advice or information on this forum takes the place of personal advice and information provided you by an attorney licensed to practice in your own jurisdiction who you have hired to represent you, regardless of who is giving you the advice and information on this site (attorney-member or non-attorney member).

ZLDH0326

I am certain that PA must do things differently, but, it seems very odd that the officer might MAIL you a cite rather than issue it at the scene. But, I agree it is possible you can get both rather than one or the other.

Is your methadone program court ordered, or voluntary?

If you are in drug counseling as part of your methadone program, you may want to mention this as it may affect your recovery. Smoking weed while trying to kick opiates is a bad idea, and makes me think you're not all that invested in your recovery. You should seriously consider focusing on recovery before your drug problem gets you into even more trouble.

Going to the clinic is voluntary for me, I dont smoke often and my clinic doesnt test for maijuana because its so widely used and legal in over half the u.s...I know people have their opinions about marijuana but im very much invested in my recovery....but not here to talk about all that..... Just trying to hear from someone from Pennsylvania that has been in this situation so i can know what it is im going to be receiving in the mail... Many people that live around me say they think its more than likely a fine since he didnt give me a ticket right there... but idk in NC if you get a traffic ticket they print it right there on the spot and it tells you how much the fine cost ,your court date, and court cost..like i said marijuana they either throw it on the ground and tell you to go about your business or they arrest you

CdwJava

You may not want to talk about it, but a court may very well want to know what you are doing about your recovery. Being involved in methadone treatment and then going out and smoking marijuana may well show that you are not all that serious about recovery (not to mention that it is likely to have a negative impact on your treatment). If you are charged for the marijuana and prefer to pay the fine or do the jail time rather than get clean (depending on the offense charged, if any), that's up to you.

Last edited:

ZLDH0326

What does this mean? Where have you come "up" from? Are you now living in Pennsylvania?

That appears to be all you can do right now ... besides making sure you are obeying all laws while you pray and hope for the best.

I get the strange feeling that you did not read the terms of service of this site when you registered. ;)

Nothing offered in the way of advice or information on this forum takes the place of personal advice and information provided you by an attorney licensed to practice in your own jurisdiction who you have hired to represent you, regardless of who is giving you the advice and information on this site (attorney-member or non-attorney member).
I moved up here from NC.... and i hate to sound stupid but i dont really understand what you mean by all that.... i was just curious if you were in any kind of legal work.. and I signed up for this on my phone and thought it was just another regular forum...

You gave up your buds and bowl?
I expect you may have just made some guy dressed up like cop day.
You should have received a ticket right then and there, but
I guess he wanted to smoke on it before he made up his mind. You should receive something in the mail in two to four weeks. Talking as suggested to an Attorney is a good idea and in the meanwhile,
try and get some rest, you look terrible.
Good luck.

..____________________
~ If you would avoid suspicion,
do not lace shoes in melon field. ~ Chinese proverb

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">