• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dk34

What is the name of your state? PA
My son is 17 years old.
I need some advice for my son, he was at a movie and left and picked up 1 kids who he knew and his 2 other friends they were driving to a party. When they got to the party my son headed towards it with everyone and then two of the kids wanted to use my sons car lighter he gave them they keys and waited for them to come back toward the party. In about 20 minutes the kids told my son he needs to hide and not go to the party. My son just walked down the street with his friend, until they called the kid he was with and they said that my son had to go get his car. My son walked down and went to his car and saw police and asked them if he could get his car. They then said "no" "you are under arrest"... The kids he was with were rolling a joint in his car and left their marijuana their when they had ran. The police officers had saw the kids run and told my son that. so any overview of the long story is my son went to a party gave 2 kids his car keys to get a lighter and they were rolling a joint in his car until cops came and then they flead the scene leaving everything in his car and just ran into woods. When my son returned to his car they said that he was being charged with disorderly conduct,possesion of marijuana, intent to sell, intent to smoke. They found in his car 10grams of marijuana and a 20 bags and joint papers. None of this stuff is my sons but the kids he was with and they had left it in his car when they ran. What should he do?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He should get an attorney because quite frankly he gave the kid permission to be in HIS car and he was responsibility for what they were doing in there.

dk34

Yes we are planning on getting one, but I have another question. When my son approached the police to claim his car he was put under arrest and was questioned about what happened by two officers at the scene. Then they took my son to the police station and they questioned him in more depth about what happened, if he used drugs and if he was buying and selling drugs. They did all of this without calling me and they never read him his miranda rights. I know that you don't always have to be read your rights but I thought for a minor to be questioned they would contact the parents or atleast have to read them their rights?

CdwJava

They did all of this without calling me and they never read him his miranda rights. I know that you don't always have to be read your rights but I thought for a minor to be questioned they would contact the parents or atleast have to read them their rights?
Parents are not an issue, but if he was taken to the station and never Mirandized, then any statements he made might be able to be suppressed if they are used against him, and any evidence that came out as a result of the Miranda violation could be suppressed.

A child does not have a right to a parent being present.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">