• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AZ FoXx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Hi, I live in AZ and I am 17 years old. I recently was caught by the police when I was in possession with marijuana. I was also out past cerfew as it was about 4 AM when I was caught. I was actually receiving oral sex from a 17 year old girl when this all happened, but no charges have been filed for that. I had about a gram of marijuana in the car. I am being charged with possession of marijuana, and possession of drug paraphernalia. This is my first offense that has been recorded to my knowledge. I did have a run in with the police earlier, but the cop said he would leave it for my parents to deal with. He did take my ID and he did call his sergeant when it happened. Does that mean he recorded the details of the situation somewhere? and if he did, will that sway the courts views of a "first offence?" Does that count as my first offence in the eyes of the court. I am a good student with A's and B's and recently got an academic scholarship for $24,000 to ASU. The biggest thing I am worried about is getting a criminal record because of this. I did hire an attorney, but I haven't gotten to speak with him personally yet, as my parents are the ones who are in communication with him. I know all cases are different, but I would really love to hear someones opinion on the whole situation? What kind of sentence should I be expecting?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Hi, I live in AZ and I am 17 years old. I recently was caught by the police when I was in possession with marijuana. I was also out past cerfew as it was about 4 AM when I was caught. I was actually receiving oral sex from a 17 year old girl when this all happened, but no charges have been filed for that. I had about a gram of marijuana in the car. I am being charged with possession of marijuana, and possession of drug paraphernalia. This is my first offense that has been recorded to my knowledge. I did have a run in with the police earlier, but the cop said he would leave it for my parents to deal with. He did take my ID and he did call his sergeant when it happened. Does that mean he recorded the details of the situation somewhere? and if he did, will that sway the courts views of a "first offence?" Does that count as my first offence in the eyes of the court. I am a good student with A's and B's and recently got an academic scholarship for $24,000 to ASU. The biggest thing I am worried about is getting a criminal record because of this. I did hire an attorney, but I haven't gotten to speak with him personally yet, as my parents are the ones who are in communication with him. I know all cases are different, but I would really love to hear someones opinion on the whole situation? What kind of sentence should I be expecting?
I would suggest that you speak only with your attorney about this matter. Good luck.

quincy

Being charged with possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia is serious enough that you were smart to hire an attorney. The attorney will have all of the information he needs to answer any question you might have, including the ones you ask here.

No one on the forum would want to muddy the legal waters by guessing at what kind of sentence you will receive - or even if you will have any sentence at all. There is always the chance of having charges dismissed or reduced, and your attorney will be investigating to see if there is that chance. I recommend you rely on his advice and direction.

Good luck.

AZ FoXx

Being charged with possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia is serious enough that you were smart to hire an attorney. The attorney will have all of the information he needs to answer any question you might have, including the ones you ask here.

No one on the forum would want to muddy the legal waters by guessing at what kind of sentence you will receive - or even if you will have any sentence at all. There is always the chance of having charges dismissed or reduced, and your attorney will be investigating to see if there is that chance. I recommend you rely on his advice and direction.

Good luck.
Another question, is it likely that I will be trailed as an adult? I turn 18 in about 6 months, and I still have yet to receive a court date? Should I be worried?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

If convicted, you may be ineligible for that scholarship or any other money to attend college, even the local community college. :cool:

quincy

Another question, is it likely that I will be trailed as an adult? I turn 18 in about 6 months, and I still have yet to receive a court date? Should I be worried?
Whenever you are charged with any crime, there is cause to worry.

But I would not concentrate on worst case scenarios. Your hearing should be scheduled and your case heard before you turn 18, and your attorney will be working with you, and the prosecutor, to get you the best outcome possible.

Save all questions for your attorney. He will know the facts and can advise you accordingly. The important thing for you to do is to avoid any more trouble.

Good luck.

croque_monsieur

Good luck on that, it's a shame that the state is so strict about a, in my eyes, small criminal offence.

Just Blue

Well!! You did ask for it...So here it goes!

IMO the 24K should go to a student that has enough brains to NOT do illegal drugs while geting head in a public place at 4am thus violating not one law but 3. And that money will go to a better student...cause you have kissed the scholarship goodbye.

The Occultist

I know this is a few months behind, but I thought I'd offer my two cents anyways (just in case anybody else from AZ happens upon this thread during their searching for similar information).

My first cent is: hope that you ARE tried as an adult for the possession charges. AZ is VERY lenient when it comes to first-time offenders of a non-violent crime, and you will likely received deferred prosecution (the prosecutor will probably bring it up himself, most times). This entails paying some fees, attending a class, and then 6 months of an extremely light probation (count on weekly meetings with weekly tests, but it's likely you'll take only one test, if any, and may not meet your probation officer throughout most of it). It's relatively painless, and as long as you stay clean (from drugs as well as any other criminal activity), this ends up as a nothing on your record.

My second cent is: if you get charged as a minor, things are MUCH different. AZ has adopted the strategy of "scaring kids straight". As such, you can face must more strict punishments than adults in the same situation would face, including a lengthy, involved probation along with higher fees.

I hope your attorney has led you in the correct direction, and I hope you have learned from all of this and opt to play it straight from here on out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">