• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana Infraction Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phant

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

In July I was stopped by a CHP officer for speeding. The officer smelt pot in my car and searched it . he found less then 1 gram of pot rolled up in a joint , and as a result he rote me up for possession of less than 1 oz of Marijuana. Well i want to court and did some educational video class , and the charge ( since it was my first offense ) was dropped down to an infraction. I was very lucky! However i have a couple of questions.

A.) Dose a previous possession infraction give Law enforcement the right to search my car with out consent?

B.) Is there any way future job employers will be able to see the infraction on my record?

c.) Should i get my record expunged just in case? It costsWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

D.) is there any thing else i should be aware of for legal ramifications involving an Marijuana Infraction>?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

A.) Dose a previous possession infraction give Law enforcement the right to search my car with out consent?
Generally, no.

B.) Is there any way future job employers will be able to see the infraction on my record?
If they check public records and the court records show this matter being adjudicated, yes.

c.) Should i get my record expunged just in case?
From courtinfo.ca.gov:

Marijuana Possession Offenses

If you were convicted of possession of marijuana for personal use then you do not necessarily need to get a dismissal for the offense. Under California Health and Safety Code Sections 11361.5 and 11361.7 all possession of marijuana for personal use convictions, after January 1, 1976, are erased from your record after two years. BE CAREFUL! The conviction cannot be for cultivation, sales or transportation. If it is, it will be on your record.​
D.) is there any thing else i should be aware of for legal ramifications involving an Marijuana Infraction>?
Such a conviction might impact future consideration for student loans and the like, but that is something that you would have to ask an attorney or someone who handles such matters.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">