• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana, Intent to Dist.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G_of_T

Virginia

I wanted to get a third party opinion about my case involving marijuana, i found these forums. Here's what's happened in a nutshell.

DELETED. Charge, Intent to Dist. MJ

And my question is, how does my situation look? How much will our buys from the dealer help us? What are the chances of the charges being dismissed? I understand that there are many variables when looking at a conclusion to this matter but any input is appreciated.

*EDIT* My friends and I have not had an offense prior, we're (were) good citizens. Our background is upstanding, nothing negative.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

You need a lawyer.

They've got enough to convict you of distribution.

"Just happened?"

Don't lie to us. Don't lie to your lawyer.

Neither can help you if you do.

G_of_T

Thanks for the reply. We do have lawyers, we have retained them. Everything is basically set for the court date and i just want a third party's opinion of how things looked. And i'm not lying, my friend did "just happen" to stumble upon this dealer. Seriously, the internet is for the most part anonymous, i wouldn't lie, why would i seek help if i'm not willing to give all the facts? Yes they do have enough against us to convict us of a felony. I've talked to other people that are knowledgeable on this subject. Given the facts of our situation they said since we're first time offenders there's a chance that we could plea for a misdemeanor, but i don't even want that. i want the charges dismissed if possible by helping the police.

*EDIT* My friends and I are bottom feeders. We do not do hard drugs, we don't know of anyone that deals hard drugs. We have smoked marijuana though, and our excuse for having that much marijuana is a silly one but i don't want to say why because if by the off chance that someone from our lives trolls these forums and puts the two together it could be bad for us. We are the occasional marijuana smoker, never venturing into anything harder, deeper, worse. I know that the court won't even consider that statement i just wrote but it's what we are.

Last edited:

G_of_T

oh definitely. I'm well aware that our excuse is not an "excuse" in court and that my friends and i will be tried like anyone else. Does the fact that we have an assistant prosecutor mean anything?

G_of_T

I've heard from a friend that the effectiveness of a prosecutor is measured by the amount of time he/she has incarcerated people in the cases that he/she has had. On the other hand, assistant prosecutors aren't prosecutors, yet, but they want to become one; and the way to do that is to "improve" their numbers by sending more people to jail to do time. Therefore, from the linear theory i have in my head right now, the assistant prosecutor can be and will probably be harsher?

The Occultist

While I've no personal experience in the area, my understanding is that it is never a good idea to do dirty work for a better deal; one way or another, your situation will likely get worse.

CavemanLawyer

On the other hand, assistant prosecutors aren't prosecutors, yet, but they want to become one; and the way to do that is to "improve" their numbers by sending more people to jail to do time.
Assistant prosecutors are indeed prosecutors, and they are the ones that always prosecute cases. There is only one district attorney in each county and he/she is an elected official. It is a political position and he/she typically prosecutes few cases if any. Instead, they are in charge of running the office. Within that office there are any number of assistant district attorneys who are the actual prosecutors that get assigned cases and try them.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Therefore, from the linear theory i have in my head right now, the assistant prosecutor can be and will probably be harsher?
Whomever is prosectuting the case, it is his job to convict you, regardless of his professional status. I doubt any of them are more inclined or less inclined to send you to jail based on how long they've had the job.

The best person to comment on your theory would be your attorney, who should be familiar with the individuals that work within your local system and each one's "style", for lack of a better word.

G_of_T

Thanks for the input guys, i really appreciate it.

The work we're doing of course is under the table and what not, but when faced with the choice of taking the charges head on, or doing something to better our chances of having a more favorable outcome, my friends and i chose the second. we will see what will happen.

G_of_T

Have gotten one. Retained and everything. just wanted to see what peoples views of what the outcome might be. lawyers are expensive =/.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">