• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marijuana misdemenor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

collegemom22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My college daughter, 20, was recently arrested for possession of less than 2.5 gm marijuana. It was found in her purse that she accidentally left in the library at college.

Back in high school, she was arrested for same. She got supervision and a fine which she completed successfully.

Will this be treated as a first or second offense? Should I trust the free lawyers provided by the school or get our own? The school lawyer told her she would either get convicted or she could ask for the drug program, which is a l4 month program for hardcore addicts, which she definitely is not. It seems inappropriate and its supposedly only for felons, anyway. I don't even know if the judge would consider it.

What can we expect to have happen in court? I know you can't predict, but whatever you've seen in your past experience would help. Thanks.

BTW, she admitted it was hers and the police said that if she was cooperative they would go easier on her. I know that's not true, but unfortunately, she didn't.

Last edited:

For some reason this reminds me of the movie "My cousin Vinny," where they thought they were confessing to not paying for a can of tunafish and the sherif believed that they were confessing to murder. LOL

Who had possesion of the purse after her and before the police?

collegemom22

The library attendant had possession of the bag and possibly the niu police, Im not sure. But she already admitted to the police it was hers. She also told me that the police told her that if she is cooperative and compliant and possibly if she names names they will go easy on her, but she is afraid to do that for fear of retaliation. They said the police will come to court and tell the judge she was cooperative and they'll go easy. She believed him, she's gullible and has never been arrested except for the one time in high school. She's an A student, but dumb when it comes to common sense.

Two more questions..how many years have to go by before you can get your record expunged? She wants to teach and unfortunately, she will be screwed when she gets convicted of this.

and can you request community service in lieu of a fine. I know its going to be hefty and I'm not paying for it this time.

Thanks again, all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">