• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana Posession w/ Intent to Sell

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jp420

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I'm an unemployed 30 year old who contacted someone thru craigslist in Los Angeles who posted an ad asking to help find 420 meds. I offered to help him. After emailing back and forth a few times and a few text messages eventually we setup a meeting. Unfortunately the person I was meeting was an undercover and gave him 1oz for $250. As I drove away... They pulled me over and arrested me. After placing me in handcuffs..they searched my car... found the $250 which he gave me and additional 1oz. I was charged with a felony of Marijuana Possession with Intent to Sell. I served 1 day in jail and was bailed out on a $20,000 bond. My court date is schedule in Torrence, CA in May.

This is my first I've been charged for drug offense and I plan on hiring an attorney. I'm willing to quit smoking pot too and get tested if need be to avoid jail time.

What can I realistically expect in terms of sentencing?
Any specific strategic suggestions in approaching this legal matter?

HomeGuru

I'm an unemployed 30 year old who contacted someone thru craigslist in Los Angeles who posted an ad asking to help find 420 meds. I offered to help him. After emailing back and forth a few times and a few text messages eventually we setup a meeting. Unfortunately the person I was meeting was an undercover and gave him 1oz for $250. As I drove away... They pulled me over and arrested me. After placing me in handcuffs..they searched my car... found the $250 which he gave me and additional 1oz. I was charged with a felony of Marijuana Possession with Intent to Sell. I served 1 day in jail and was bailed out on a $20,000 bond. My court date is schedule in Torrence, CA in May.

This is my first I've been charged for drug offense and I plan on hiring an attorney. I'm willing to quit smoking pot too and get tested if need be to avoid jail time.

**A: one strategy would be to plead insane.

j_illinois

HomeGuru is joking, of course.

I'm glad to hear you're planning to hire an attorney. That's the smartest move you can make. Police and prosecutors often make mistakes. A good lawyer can work those mistakes to your advantage.

Regarding defense strategies for drug cases, you can look at a rather extensive collection of war stories on the site of Jon Katz, an attorney in the DC area:

Highly-rated CRIMINAL LAWYER / DRUNK DRIVING LAWYER - Fairfax County, Arlington, Alexandria, Prince William, Loudoun & more.

Here's a useful quote from Mr. Katz: "When a criminal defendant has competent counsel, It is generally wise to plead not guilty when the sentence is unlikely to be more adverse if the defendant is found guilty through a trial rather than through a guilty plea."

Note that I am not specifically recommending any particular strategy detailed at Mr. Katz's site. It's just a good source of ideas.

Hopefully, though, your attorney will be a good one, and you won't need any other help in devising a strategy.

CdwJava

What code section(s) have you been charged with violating?

- Carl

Astrostyles

Hope everything went well with you, in case anyone else encounters a similar situation... be sure to file a motion regarding entrapment. If the officer is seeking out a person and enticing them it can be considered entrapment if there is no evidence the person would've committed the crime otherwise.

FlyingRon

Hope everything went well with you, in case anyone else encounters a similar situation... be sure to file a motion regarding entrapment. If the officer is seeking out a person and enticing them it can be considered entrapment if there is no evidence the person would've committed the crime otherwise.
Sorry Astroboy, the situation described is in no way entrapment. Such a motion would be dispensed with in seconds. First off, there's no "enticement" here at all. Second, even enticement itself or the lack of "evidence" a person would have committed the crime anyhow isn't entrapment either.

Entrapment requires showing the police applied duress or other pressure to cause the defendant to commit a crime he was predisposed not to commit. The fact is the OP, would have bought drugs from anybody. He was already predisposed to commit the crime. The fact that he was stupid enough to do so from the police doesn't commit improper procedure on the police's case.

proxi

With recently having experience with my brothers charges, you are looking at probably 2yrs in the DOC. Does not matter if it is first offense..
He had an attorney and he is now on the inside looking out.
He was charged with possesion, dealing. We are trying to get a sent. modification, but still are seeking out information on how to do that.
GET A LAWYER WITH DRUG CHARGE EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!

proxi

drugs are drugs right. FYIs the last time checked wasnt illegal..
My goodness, No one can respond to similiar circumstances..:
eek:
So much Hate in the world..

FlyingRon

drugs are drugs right. FYIs the last time checked wasnt illegal..
My goodness, No one can respond to similiar circumstances..:
eek:
So much Hate in the world..
Drugs are drugs, but laws and the correctional system are a state thing, which is why every thread here starts out that issue.

Further, it's not nice to keep opening up and tagging on to other threads with your ficticious stories. Once you stop lying and tell us what is really going on, you might get some additional help (though you have gotten quite good answers in one of your other threads).

So much stupidity.

proxi

I am desperate to find my brother help...
I know he did the crime and he needs to do his time.. The problem the family has is that MY father his father.. Is dying and all we are wondering is how do we or I file a reduction or modification of sentence.
I got a really good answer- but my question is for the modification of sentence- it has to do with his case right, a new finding! (is this correct)?
Or is it something that has changed in his situation.?

Have a wonderful day all.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">