• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana possesion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gto1720

I live in north carolina and I was busted with about a gram of marijuana on me. I have never been in trouble with the law before and am still in highschool. I've looked over the north carolina laws concerning possesion of marijuana which range from nothing to 30 days of jail time, a 200 dollar fine or probation.
does anyone know what I should expect and what laywer charges might be

The Occultist

If you have absolutely no priors, then perhaps some sort of deferred prosecution will be offered to you.

We can't really guess as to what the charges will be as we don't know what they have on you. We can't really guess what the punishments will be until we know what they charged you with. Once you receive an official cite, go ahead and post the statute number(s) under which you were charged and we may be able to offer a more complete answer.

gto1720

I don't have the citation with me but i can tell you what i was charged with.
Possesion of Marijuana up to 1/2 ounce. (the lowest tier of possesion)
It's considered a class 3 misdemeanor I believe.
The officer told me I was cooperative and what not.

FlyingRon

First offense less than an half ounce is $200 and at most a SUSPENDED 30 day sentence. There's also some diversion option available but you'll need to talk to a lawyer about that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">