• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marijuana possesion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heighwayr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Ok, so a few months ago me and a couple friends were sitting in the woods at a park and some police officers came back there on a call of kids doing drugs. When they got back there, they saw a pipe that my friend had thrown on the ground and they searched all of us. I, along with two of my friends, were found to have marijuana on us. However, I was the only one ever charged. This is my second offense but I do not see how I was the only one charged when two people with me were guilty of the exact same thing. I have already been to court and pleaded guilty to possesion but I have a hard time believing that there is nothing wrong with this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

justalayman

wow,what a great friend you are. I suppose if it were one of your friends charged and not you, you would walk into the police department and demand to be charged if your friend is charged, right?

your friends not being charged has nothing to do with you being charged. Each of you were apparently guilty. Maybe your friends are narcs.

heighwayr

Wow you guys are a lot of help...what I'm trying to ask is who's fault is it that I am the only one being charged. Is it the cop's, the prosecutor's, or anyone elses and why is it just me?

outonbail

Wow you guys are a lot of help...what I'm trying to ask is who's fault is it that I am the only one being charged. Is it the cop's, the prosecutor's, or anyone elses and why is it just me?
It is your fault that you are being charged, because marijuana was found in your possession. You knew you had the marijuana and you knew it was illegal to possess. No one slipped it into your pocket without your knowledge.

Why no one else was charged when, according to you, they were guilty of the same crime, is something no one on this forum can answer. We can speculate, but there is no way to provide you with any definite reason for the officers decision to only charge you with the offense.

I don't know how we can be any clearer on this issue. But you have to answer to the charges which were filed against you. Claiming that others were let off with a warning and not charged, even though they were just as guilty as you, is not a defense.

The police do not have to arrest everyone committing the same crime, in order to gain a conviction against you. The only matter that will be decided by the court in your case, is whether you are guilty of the crime you are being charged with. They will not care who else is or is not guilty of the same crime.

You can cry all you want about how it is not fair that only you were charged, but that is your opinion, not a valid defense. Even if the judge agrees with you and states in open court, "Yes son, it doesn't seem fair that you were the only one charged", the only issue that needs to be determined, is whether or not you are guilty of the charges.

Do you get it now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">