• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana Possesion misdemeanor in Michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crunchedd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hey guys, I'm from Illinois and about a week ago I went up to a music festival in Michigan. I got pulled over in Michigan for switching lanes without signaling, but there were so many cops that they were just sitting there looking for excuses to pull people over because they figured festival = drugs. But they were right, and the officer told me that if I told the truth about it he would let me get away with a ticket. So I told him it was in there because he threatened to have his dog sniff my car. He found 7 grams in my bag (misdemeanor), a few grams in my friend's bag (misdemeanor), and an ounce in my other friend's bag (felony). . .
So now I have court in Michigan in two days, and I'm only 19 so I can't afford a lawyer like my friends ($3500?). What should I know? I'm just going to plead guilty and pay the ticket, but what are the chances of me getting screwed over because I won't have an attorney? It's also my first offense ever.

tl;dr - what do i need to know to not get screwed over without a lawyer for a marijuana misdemeanor ?

thanks in advance

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hey guys, I'm from Illinois and about a week ago I went up to a music festival in Michigan. I got pulled over in Michigan for switching lanes without signaling, but there were so many cops that they were just sitting there looking for excuses to pull people over because they figured festival = drugs. But they were right, and the officer told me that if I told the truth about it he would let me get away with a ticket. So I told him it was in there because he threatened to have his dog sniff my car. He found 7 grams in my bag (misdemeanor), a few grams in my friend's bag (misdemeanor), and an ounce in my other friend's bag (felony). . .
So now I have court in Michigan in two days, and I'm only 19 so I can't afford a lawyer like my friends ($3500?). What should I know? I'm just going to plead guilty and pay the ticket, but what are the chances of me getting screwed over because I won't have an attorney? It's also my first offense ever.

tl;dr - what do i need to know to not get screwed over without a lawyer for a marijuana misdemeanor ?

thanks in advance
"It's just a little weed, what's the harm?" Is that what you're thinking? I hear a lot of excuses in your version of the story. You got caught, and you get to learn the hard way what the consequences will be.

You had the drugs, and you got caught. Since this is a criminal offense, you are entitled to an attorney. If you can't afford one yourself, you can ask for a public defender at the courthouse before you make your plea.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">