• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gjohn1991

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I was on Fort Bragg the other day, and for some reason they decided to search my car (without my permision), do they have that right? And they searched my glovebox and they found a bag of marijuana seeds and a tobacco pipe. They charged me with possession of drugs and possession of drug paraphernalia. After questioning, they dropped the drug paraphernalia charge and left me with the possession of drugs charge. Is there any way, any way at all that I can get the drug charge dropped as well. I have plans to join the army, there's no way I can do that with that on my record.

cyjeff

The Army will give you a waiver, they need your body.
That isn't correct.... please don't state it as fact.

First, let's start with the search. If your car was ON the base at the time, the rules change. I haven't been on a base in over a year, but I believe they still have posted signs stating that ANY car on the base may be searched at any time.

It is a condition of being on base. But the rules may have changed.

Why would you believe that the seeds should be dropped?

Why in the hell would you bring that stuff onto post if you wanted to join the military?

csi7

You and your vehicle are subject to search at any time on military installations. If it was a random search, then the charge could be dropped, not likely, unless there are extenuating circumstances involved. You may have to have the military installation commander review the case. You would have to request this review in writing and the review may change the situation.

gjohn1991

That isn't correct.... please don't state it as fact.

First, let's start with the search. If your car was ON the base at the time, the rules change. I haven't been on a base in over a year, but I believe they still have posted signs stating that ANY car on the base may be searched at any time.

It is a condition of being on base. But the rules may have changed.

Why would you believe that the seeds should be dropped?

Why in the hell would you bring that stuff onto post if you wanted to join the military?
First, they're just seeds. They're aren't drugs, just seeds. You can't smoke seeds. I understand that the seeds can be grown into drugs, but they don't know whether or not those were my intentions. I didn't purposely bring them on base, I forgot they were in my glovebox and left them there.

Last edited:

bc42

Good thing you didn't have a poppy seed roll in your car also as, Yes, the poppy seeds on baked goods are of the very same variety that are related to opium and cause false-positives on drug tests; growers of such seeds are restricted under federal law. Perhaps you simply preferred pot seeds on your buns? And then there's the cocoa bean, which comes from the cocoa plant (leaf) which is where cocaine comes from. Doesn't seem consistent but it is not legal to possess pot seeds while it's perfectly legal to possess poppy seeds or cocoa beans!

Last edited:

CdwJava

You are thinking COCA plant, not COCOA. The cocoa bean and the coca plant are not used in the manufacture of cocaine ... well, not unless we're coming up with a new breakfast cereal: Coca Puffs! "I'm cuckoo for coca, puffs! I'm cuckoo for coca puffs!"

And the poppy seed roll I get at the bakery is not the same seed that is used to grow the opium plant, though sufficient consumption can apparently cause the occasional false positive test on an initial screen.

This is why coca plant seeds and poppy seeds are legal - they do not grow into a plant that produces an illegal substance.

bc42

You're absolutely right about the coca plant but the source of poppy seeds are one and the same. Papaver somniferum, is the species of plant from which opium and poppy seeds are extracted.

Last edited:

ERAUPIKE

First, they're just seeds. They're aren't drugs, just seeds. You can't smoke seeds. I understand that the seeds can be grown into drugs, but they don't know whether or not those were my intentions. I didn't purposely bring them on base, I forgot they were in my glovebox and left them there.
Unfortunately, those seeds are considered drugs. Just because you accidentally brought illegal narcotics on to the base, it doesn't mean that you did not violate the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">