• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana Possession...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlandry462

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) NH

I was arrested a couple months ago for possession or marijuana, paraphernalia, going the wrong way down a one way, and being out after 1 AM (I'm 17 years old, and never had a run in with the law). My court date is this Wednesday, and I'm going in without a lawyer, planning on pleading guilty. I am wondering what is going to happen when I go into court. My dad wants me to write up a little speech about how I've learned my lesson (which I have), how I really don't want this to go on my record, because I am applying to college, and how this won't happen again. Now, with that being said, I want to know if there will be time for me to do this (recite the speech), or if it will be allowed. My last question is; is there any possibility that my charges will be dropped to a mere violation, containing a hefty fine, and possibly community service? Anything will help, thanks!

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) NH

I was arrested a couple months ago for possession or marijuana, paraphernalia, going the wrong way down a one way, and being out after 1 AM (I'm 17 years old, and never had a run in with the law). My court date is this Wednesday, and I'm going in without a lawyer, planning on pleading guilty. I am wondering what is going to happen when I go into court. My dad wants me to write up a little speech about how I've learned my lesson (which I have), how I really don't want this to go on my record, because I am applying to college, and how this won't happen again. Now, with that being said, I want to know if there will be time for me to do this (recite the speech), or if it will be allowed. My last question is; is there any possibility that my charges will be dropped to a mere violation, containing a hefty fine, and possibly community service? Anything will help, thanks!
I suggest you do no such thing without the assistance of a lawyer.

Legal aid can be provided if you cannot afford one.

Really.. no speech.. legal representation.

Banned_Princess

Will the lawyer be provided the day of the trial?
Alright you appear to be having some difficulty here. so lets do this.

1. were you arrested?

2. were you arraigned?

3. what do you mean trial?

4. is this your very first court appearance?

5. Why don't your parents think you need a lawyer.. this is not a tv show.

jlandry462

1. were you arrested?

Yes

2. were you arraigned?

Sorry, what does this mean

I mean the day I go to court.

Yes

They think a lawyer isn't needed.

Banned_Princess

1. were you arrested?

Yes

Ok, so did they hold you overnight, to see a judge in the morning? or ticket you and let you go to your parents.

2. were you arraigned?

Sorry, what does this mean
That is step one after an arrest.. the first time you appear in court after an arrest or ticket is called an "arraignment"

I mean the day I go to court.

Yes
Ok so this is going to be your arraignment.. it is no where near a trial. the judge will read your charges, and ask if you have a lawyer.. you will say no and he will enter a plea of not guilty until you retain a lawyer. You can say you cannot afford one and he might assign legal aid right away, or he will tell your parents to get you a lawyer. You will be given a date to return, with a lawyer.. (unless he gives you one right there, it might be that fast)

They think a lawyer isn't needed.
Well what is NOT needed is a speech. lol. A lawyer is important, especially since you don't want a marijuana charge on your record.

jlandry462

Alright. I was bailed out by my parents that night, and given an arraignment for this Wednesday. Is there any chance that I could get a lawyer by Wednesday on my own, or is that too short notice?

Banned_Princess

Play it by ear in the court.

Be respectful, Be presentable, Be remorseful, Be prepared.

Answer only the questions a judge asks you in a clear and direct manor. don't take up all the courts time with anything. Just the questions, just the answers, and thats it.

If you want the best the DA has to offer you, you need a lawyer to negotiate with them.

I have seen a parent speak to the DA before, but I don't think that is the norm, and I suggest you be prepared to not say anything without a lawyer.

Maybe the DA just wants you fined and out the door.. no one will know.

Keep in mind, you don't have to complete the issue that day, if you hear a deal, that doesn't sound like the best... then tell them you need time to get a lawyer.

Or take the deal, and be through with it.

Its not so scary, and it will be fine.

Good luck.

Banned_Princess

Alright. I was bailed out by my parents that night, and given an arraignment for this Wednesday. Is there any chance that I could get a lawyer by Wednesday on my own, or is that too short notice?
You could if you want to. its not short notice. and I'm sure a lawyer will be able to appear with you tomorow if need be.

jlandry462

As a result from today I was only charged with the paraphernalia and was given a $155 fine. But, the catch is that if i get in trouble with drugs/alcohol within a year from today, my possession charge will come back to bite me in the ass. Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">