• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana Possession?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaylaavg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My 18 year old male friend who lives in Arizona got charged with marijuana possession last night. This is what happened: He and some friends were driving along the highway around 18:00 and got pulled over by the cops for marijuana. The cops searched the car and found no more than 5grams of marijuana under the seat that my friend was occupying. The driver of the car admitted to the cops that the marijuana was not my friends but that it belonged to a friend of his who he was with earlier that morning. The police still charged my friend with possession because it was under his seat. However, I believe he was not to be charged because he didn't know it was there and the driver of the car did. And the car is the drivers responsibility, it was in his car so he should be charged. Am I correct?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My 18 year old male friend who lives in Arizona got charged with marijuana possession last night. This is what happened: He and some friends were driving along the highway around 18:00 and got pulled over by the cops for marijuana. The cops searched the car and found no more than 5grams of marijuana under the seat that my friend was occupying. The driver of the car admitted to the cops that the marijuana was not my friends but that it belonged to a friend of his who he was with earlier that morning. The police still charged my friend with possession because it was under his seat. However, I believe he was not to be charged because he didn't know it was there and the driver of the car did. And the car is the drivers responsibility, it was in his car so he should be charged. Am I correct?
Your male friend should discuss this with his attorney.:)

racer72

Am I correct?
Not even close. Possession and ownership are two completely different things. FYI, no one gets pulled over for marijuana. There had to be another reason for the stop.

kaylaavg

Not even close. Possession and ownership are two completely different things. FYI, no one gets pulled over for marijuana. There had to be another reason for the stop.
The police report does not state any other reason for pulling them over. What should he do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">