• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana possession in Arizona after a DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

huntert93

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I was driving back to Arizona from California with a friend 2 weeks ago. We got to a border patrol stop in which the officers had drug dogs. The dog immediately smelled marijuana in the car and the officers found a pipe as well as about a half ounce of marijuana in the car.

Since the marijuana and pipe belonged to my friend, she took the blame for it and they ended up giving her a ticket for marijuana possession as well as paraphenelia. She is 19 and has already received a DUI in the past year. I know that Arizona courts sometimes refrain from giving harsh treatments (jail time, etc.) to first time offenders. However, I was wondering what effect her DUI might have on the marijuana charge. It would suck to see my friend go to jail, but is that what it might come down to???

The Occultist

You are correct about AZ's leniency and it comes in the form of deferred prosecution. AZ is also friendly enough that they tend to offer deferred prosecution twice before considering jail time, so whether or not the DUI will count as anything towards this means that your friend will likely still see some leniency. Your friend should also consider the fact that this may indeed be the "last chance" AZ will ever offer, so she needs to make sure to clean up her act from here on out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">