• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana possession charge with valid medical recommendation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

Yes it's a state card but the county issues it as i understand it.
The counties run the program at the local level, the state issues the cards. The verification system is the only way that law enforcement can verify a recommendation as being valid. Without it, the recommendation could (and often is) no better or worse than one I could print on my PC.

CdwJava

I only have my recommendation, would getting a MMIC make a difference at this point?
Not really. But, in the future, it kinda gives you a "get out of jail free" card. However, you may find that your medical provider will not cooperate with the county and state - most in my part of the state actively tell their "clients" NOT to apply for the state card (I suspect, because they know that they are issuing the cards fraudulently and without good cause).

My ticket only says possession of less than one oz, but the location specifies that I was on campus. Can that result in a misdemeanor or should that still be corrected as an infraction?
H&S 11357(b) is the infraction. Unless it is amended to something else, then that is what you will face.

(b) Except as authorized by law, every person who possesses not
more than 28.5 grams of marijuana, other than concentrated cannabis,
is guilty of an infraction punishable by a fine of not more than one
hundred dollars ($100).

Also, will the fact that others in my group were marked as infractions for the same crime help my case? My county is incredibly liberal and Marijuana friendly, so I have high hopes, but I'm still concerned about what could come out of this.
The others' cites are not likely to be considered. The offense IS an infraction, so that should be sufficient for the court to arraign you on the infraction.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Aren't we talking about medical marijuana here? :rolleyes:
I know of a person (and actually witnessed this) who was told by the physician issuing the recommendation that this person was among the few people who the MMJ law is designed to help. That tells me that, in that physician's eyes, most of the folks out there who obtain a recommendation don't really require it for medicinal purposes. I, too, feel that a significant majority of the folks with MMJ recommendations don't really need it for the ailment they claim to be afflicted with.

CdwJava

I know of a person (and actually witnessed this) who was told by the physician issuing the recommendation that this person was among the few people who the MMJ law is designed to help. That tells me that, in that physician's eyes, most of the folks out there who obtain a recommendation don't really require it for medicinal purposes. I, too, feel that a significant majority of the folks with MMJ recommendations don't really need it for the ailment they claim to be afflicted with.
In the county where I used to work we had 12 people with the state DHS issued marijuana card (yes, that's only 12 ... for a whole county). Ironically, not a single one of these people have entered onto law enforcement's radar! These folks are the ones that the voters had intended MMJ laws to assist. Instead, we got wink-and-a-nod legalization. For a fee, anyone (dogs, kids, canaries) can get a "recommendation". The whole medical marijuana thing is a farce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">