• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana possession: was I convicted of a crime or not? (College app question)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pngn

Minnesota

I'm filling out my college applications, and I'm being asked:
Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offence (felony, misdemeanor, juvenile offense, etc.)?

Here's my story:
Junior year (last year) I got caught smoking weed with a friend before school. But after getting in trouble with the school, I had to take a class at a local treatment center to lessen my suspension. This class caused my possession ticket to be waived or negated somehow (not sure of the details).

So my question is, does this count as being CONVICTED of a crime? Will it show on my record? Should I mark 'yes' or 'no' on the application?

I had recently turned 17 and was charged as a minor, and it was my first offense.

Will this come back to bite me if I mark 'no'?

JennK2009

Go to the Clerk of Courts in your county and ask them exactly what you were convicted with. I just did the same, and apparently, what I thought were misdemeanors convictions are actually forfeitures, whatever the heck that is. It helps to go in person, and not just call. Good luck.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offence (felony, misdemeanor, juvenile offense, etc.)?
Criminal offense and crime may be two somewhat different things. What is the question asked on the application? An offense may be criminal in nature without being considered a crime.

dave33

Minnesota

I'm filling out my college applications, and I'm being asked:

Here's my story:
Junior year (last year) I got caught smoking weed with a friend before school. But after getting in trouble with the school, I had to take a class at a local treatment center to lessen my suspension. This class caused my possession ticket to be waived or negated somehow (not sure of the details).

So my question is, does this count as being CONVICTED of a crime? Will it show on my record? Should I mark 'yes' or 'no' on the application?

I had recently turned 17 and was charged as a minor, and it was my first offense.

Will this come back to bite me if I mark 'no'?

You were charged as a minor. This alone is enough to mark "no" on the application.

You got in trouble with the school only? Did the police get called or involved in any way?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">