• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana Possession Less Than 1 Oz. Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M0nster

What is the name of your state? Georgia
Recently I was given a citation: possession marijuana less than 1 oz. . I was told I could pay my fine ($1104) and have my liscense suspended and would not have to appear in court. I am a full time college student and this on my record could deeply hurt future employment. I plan on going to court and talking to the judge to hopefully get the charge expunged after probation. My question is how neccessary is it that I show up to court with an attorney, I am very short on money, as I said before I am a broke college student. What are my options?

Tp

JETX

My question is how neccessary is it that I show up to court with an attorney, I am very short on money, as I said before I am a broke college student. What are my options?
Simple. No attorney, not likely to get anything.
Good 'connected' attorney, might get plea bargain in return for guilty plea.

garrula lingua

It depends on the Prosecutor assigned to the case.

Many Prosecutors will see a young person, without a crim background & will fashion their own type of 'deferment' program if requested.
Some Prosecutors just do the standard dispositon on everything.

You have to #1-ask for diversion (punishment without a 'premanent/drug' conviction.
#2-show why you qualify (bring your transcripts in, be respectful and remorseful)
#3-offer yourself up for alternative punishment (I'll do many hours of Narcotics Anonymous meetings and community service, if this charge can be dismissed/changed).
#4-do whatever you've agreed to.

You can make the first appearance representing yourself (pro per/pro se); see if you can talk to the Prosecutor about an offer/diversion program. If the Prosecutor isn't willing to divert your charge or speak with you, ask the court for a continuance to hire an atty.
You have no control/rights regarding an offer, so don't be demanding or sharp.

The Prosecutor, not the Judge, has the power to reduce/dismiss; the Judge has to have the Prosecutor's agreement to divert.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">